Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
DIY til I die!

Share |

new roof, ridge vent was in est, but not installed...

Hello folks,

We are going through some remodeling on our exterior. The siding was damaged during a storm and the insurance company is paying for the siding. The contractor doing the siding gave us what seemed like a good price on the roof and we decided to get it all done at once. The roof estimate clearly states "remove existing attic fan and seal hole. add ridge vent." The roof crew came out yesterday and replaced the roof. When they were finishing up, I walked around to take a look and noticed the attic fan still there. I asked the guy who seemed to be in charge. He told me they install the materials provided unless told otherwise and no ridge vent material was there when they showed up, so they had no idea we were supposed to have one. They were also one box of shingles short of finishing the job. I called the contractor first thing in the morning and left a message asking about the ridge vent/attic fan, and told him that they were a few shingles short and it was supposed to rain today. I didnt hear back from him yet, but when I got home from work the roof was complete, but still no ridge vent.

I'm wondering a few things here...do I really need a ridge vent? I have read that some of them leak if wind blows rain under them.
The house is approximately 2900 sq. ft, however I dont know the actual roof square footage. Is there any way of determining how much should come off the roof price if they do not install the ridge vent that was in our estimate? I have not paid a dime yet, as they still have to replace the siding. Should I insist they come back and perform the work as described in the estimate or should I simply ask them to take the appropriate cost of the ridge vent off the price?

Extra info...house is 20 years old, original dark brown roof was replaced with black dimensional roof. Master bedroom has extra insulation and stays comfortable year round.
Zel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Where are you located?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
DIY til I die!

sorry, I'm in Bensalem PA, just north of Philly.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

I used to live about 20 miles outside of Philly - Radnor

Does your 2nd floor heat up in the summer?
You were adding a ridge vent, do you have matching soffit vents?
The 2 work together

Passive venting thru a ridge vent is free
Yes, strong winds can blow water in thru a ridge vent
Usually its not that much with a properly installed ridge
There are also ridge vents with a "block" - angled metal - to prevent this

I have ridge vents due to Cathedral ceilings
Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
DIY til I die!

Thanks Dave. I believe all of my soffits are vented, however, as part of the complete job, all are scheduled to be replaced.

I have read that installing the ridge vent requires cutting a slot along the sheathing at the ridge. I have to guess there is an added cost to doing this and this cost was added onto our standard roof replacement estimate? I'm trying to figure out if money should be taken off the price if they dont plan on installing the ridge vent.

The upstairs definately gets warm, but it is just my wife and I and our bedroom has good ventilation, new Andersen windows, extra insulation and a huge ceiling fan. We dont have any issues with overheating in that room, however the rest of the upstairs gets pretty hot.

I dont think I want the chance of water/bugs/leaves coming in if it isnt necessary, but if there was a significant cost added to the estimate, I'd like it removed.

Radnor, cool, I hear thats a nice area!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #6

There is an added cost
Both in labor & materials

So if they did not install it you are due a refund
How much I don't know

Yes Radnor was nice
We used to ride our bikes to Valley Forge
Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #7

The only brand of Ridge Vent that I have used that NEVER caused any problems or ever leaked, has been the Shingle Vent II Ridge Vent, made by the Air Vent Corporation.

Without the external baffle, wind can go pouring through the Ridge Exhaust and turn it into an Intake Vent, which is extremely bad if there is snow or rain at the same time.

Plus, the Storm Chaser who did your roof without a crew who knew what was supposed to be done will be long gone one year after the storm event date.

Don't try to figure out how much money you should deduct, but rather, get the job done to the contractually agreed to specifications, which will leave you in the correct position bargained for.

If they use a Roll Vent product, like Cobra Roll Vent, then you should look forward to someday having rain or snow in your attic, leaking through the upper ceilings.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

I would demand that the vents be installed as you contracted them to be. And follow Ed's advise on using ones without know issues.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #9

I agree about the contractor living up to his end of the contract.However if he is not going to go with the shinglevent2 or I beleive the equivalent is Cobravent 2 .Correct me if I'm wrong ED,I use another similiar product(in Canada)so I can only tell you from what I've read on these products.IMO an electric exhaust fan would be sufficient(depending on the amount of seperate cavities in your attic space).So as a compromise or alternative to the ridgevent,I would get him to replace existing fan.Just my two-cents though
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
DIY til I die!

Thanks for all the replies. The contractor is a local company with offices in NJ and PA. I dont believe them to be "storm chasers" that travel the country looking for work.

I would like them to hold up their end of the contract, but not if it means installing inferior products. I replaced my attic fan motor less then 2 years ago, so theres really no need to replace it again at this point.

Since I dont have much of an upstairs heat issue in the summer time, and my roof has never leaked yet, I dont even know if I want a ridge vent installed.

If I take some measurements of the actual ridges, can anyone give me an approximate cost of the ridge vent installation (labor portion), as part of a roof replacement?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #11

I think we can only tell you what we would charge.It could vary greatly.But I'll gladly tell you what I would charge.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #12

If you have soffit vents you should have a ridge vent. You and the contractor agreed to have this work done and it needs to be done. Was there a contract?
Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
DIY til I die!

I have a "proposal" which describes the work to be performed. I called him after thinking it over for a day and said to go ahead with the roof, as we discussed. He never asked for, or picked up, or even asked me to sign the "proposal". I still have it, unsigned, both his and my copy. I signed nothing, so technically, there is no contract.

JohnK, I will take a bunch of measurements and see what your estimate is. I wouldnt mind having a few opinions of it, so I have some basis on what amount should come off the bill.

The house has never had ridge vents before, only the attic fan and gable vents and of course soffit vents all around.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #14

I check in here a few times a day,so I'll let you know what I'd charge once you have some measurements.take care
Old 04-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #15

Attic fan motors overwork during the day time hours, do not ventilate at night time, do not ventilate during the colder seasons and the motors burn out, as you have already discovered.

Ridge vent material and labor costs vary between $5.00 per lineal foot to $18.00 per lineal foot.

The proper sized nails should be used and very few brands are low profile enough to use a roofing nail gun which has a maximum size of 1 3/4" nail.

A 2 1/2" hand nail is preferred, but you can get away with a 2 1/4" hand nail.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote