New Roof Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New roof questions

Have finally reached the stage where I need a new roof. I am in the modwest near Chicago.

Here are my questions / concerns.

The 4 quotes I received all quoted different brand shingles - GAF, IKO, Tamco and Certainteed. Reading up on line about comparisons makes my head spin. Does it really make a difference if installed properly.

Ridge vents or standard vents?

Finally, and this was a new one on me, was Tamco wasbeing sugested because it is the only 5 inch shingle where the rest are 5 5/8. If I use the 5 5/8, it will not match up to the "wall tiles" which I guess is equivalent to metal flashing. The wall tiles are 5 inch.

The rest of the differences are not all that earth shattering - 15# felt versus synthetic, plugs for existing vents versus replacing the sheet of plywood and warranties.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by oldradio99; 04-17-2013 at 03:35 PM.
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

New roof questions

I think what you are referring to with the 5 inch versus 5-5/8" is the exposure. I think what you may be referring to as wall tiles may be base tins or base flashing, often referred to as step flashing.

I personally prefer the Certainteed Landmark Shingles because of their weight, appearance and hip and ridge shingles, but there are others that look OK too. To me the Landmarks look outstanding.

As far as underlayment goes, there is a world of difference between a real ASTM D-226 Type 1 felt and a shingle underlayment. I personally prefer the former, for the amount of asphalt in it. You definitely want ice dams in your valleys, at your eaves, and your rakes if you are above NC.

Please take no offense, as I am sure you are great at what you do, but owing to your lack of knowledge regarding proper roofing terms, the best thing you can do is hire the roofer who you feel the most comfortable with, and who provides you with actual projects that you can look at, with references that you can talk to. Do not use price alone or warranty to make your decision.

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

New roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I think what you are referring to with the 5 inch versus 5-5/8" is the exposure. I think what you may be referring to as wall tiles may be base tins or base flashing, often referred to as step flashing.

Please take no offense, as I am sure you are great at what you do, but owing to your lack of knowledge regarding proper roofing terms, the best thing you can do is hire the roofer who you feel the most comfortable with, and who provides you with actual projects that you can look at, with references that you can talk to. Do not use price alone or warranty to make your decision.

No offense taken and I am interviewing 4 roofers. I am asking my questions to help me make the most informed decision. Price alone is not a factor but I also want to make sure that no one is feeding me a line of BS.

So does it make a difference if the step flashing is 5" and the new tiles are 5 5/8" exposure? The last roofer here seemed to make a big deal of it while the others never mentioned it.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 194

New roof questions

What cladding is on the wall? If at all possible, its best to replace the step flashing's, which would negate the need to worry about the difference between English and metric shingles.

If its a large wall, the 5/8" difference in exposure can become an issue, but for short dormers it likely wouldn't.
The IKO shingles we have here are 6" exposure, and would definitely require replacing the steps for a good install.

The brand makes far less of a difference than the roofer.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Roofmaster

New roof questions

It sounds like someone is uninformed. Step flashing is supposed to be the length of the exposure plus 2 inches for the headlap, so for a 5 inch exposure shingle, your step flashing would normally be 7 inches by 10 inches. The 10 inch dimension is broken in half at a little under 90 degrees to give you 5 inches up the wall, under the counterflashing, and 5 inches out onto the deck. this flashing is attached to the deck only with two horizontal nails in the upper corner away from the vertical plane.

Now for a neat trick that my partners dad taught me. God rest them both, as they have both crossed over.

If you have a condition where you would see the step flashing through the keys, such as you would get in a 3 tab job where a key falls close to a wall, you can use a 12 inch long by 10 inch step flashing and pick up 2 courses, so you don't see the metal through the key.

Make sure you ask them if they know what the NRCA and SMACNA are. If they know, its a good sign. If they belong to the NRCA it is a better sign.

Last edited by jagans; 04-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

New roof questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
What cladding is on the wall? If at all possible, its best to replace the step flashing's, which would negate the need to worry about the difference between English and metric shingles.

If its a large wall, the 5/8" difference in exposure can become an issue, but for short dormers it likely wouldn't.
The IKO shingles we have here are 6" exposure, and would definitely require replacing the steps for a good install.

The brand makes far less of a difference than the roofer.

It is a larger run. It is where the garage attaches to the house.

So to replace the steps, would siding need to be removed?

Thanks for info in IKO. Did not know those were 6 inch.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Roofmaster

New roof questions

The step (Base flashing) should be replaced. If the siding was not installed so as to allow replacement of and properly counter the base flashing, it should be corrected so that it does, its that simple.

Advertisement