Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New roof pricing

I live on Long Island,NY and have a 19 square slate roof that needs to be replaced. At the moment I am looking at Grand Manor (CertainTeed), Camelot I (50yr) and Camelot II (30 yr) both by GAF. Valleys will be redone in copper.

I have gotten several estimates - Grand Manor ~$14k, Camelot II~$11k being the highest and $10k for Grand manor, and $7,500 for the camelot being the lowest.

I checked in nearby stores that carry the products and the I was told that the Camelot I is about the same priceas the Grand Manor and 100/sq more than the Camelot II.

Given this, I am trying to determine what is a reasonable range I should consider for this job.
thanks

mstanleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

New roof pricing

Minus the possibility of a contractor/roofer who lives/works in your immediate area your not going to get very good advice here.
Cost of living factors from one area to another is a major reason why.

Get a few estimates from local contractors (making sure they are each bidding for the same system/s) and compare the pricing.

Look for differences in underlayments, ventilation, flashing and labor details, because you don't want to save a few bucks because some contractor is going to re-use old flashing's & vents or because he/she uses illegal labor, etc.

Good Luck.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
MJW (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

New roof pricing

Thanks for the quick response and useful info!! My next step is to try and nail down the pricing of the material at a local supply shop and get a better understanding of the labor expense (which I hope is not too much of a moving target). I like the roofer with the higher estimate (he comes well recommended and I've seen his work) but the difference in pricing is something that is a big concern until I understand why. Just an aside, he quoted ~$7500 for an architectual roof, $11k for Camelot II and nearly $14k for the Grand Manor. I know that the higher price roofs require more labor and skill in installing, but the difference in price seems to unusually heavy of the work side than the material. All roofers will install ice shields, new copper flashing in the valleys, and ventiallion fan and ducts.
thanks again!! I have more homework to do.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

New roof pricing

Just out of curiosity do you know the pitch of your roof?

I would do like Sly said and compare all estimates for any differences.I would not waste time (IMO) trying to research material prices or try to find out why a contractor charges what they do.Many more things go into an estimate other than just material prices.

An architectural shingle is so simple to install.But with Grand Manors and Camelots VERY close attention to detail is needed.With those shingles you have 1 opportunity to make it happen.I have seen roofs with those shingles that have been jacked up and it is bad.

If you like the contractor and have seen his work then that is huge.If the price is a bit higher across the board contact the contractor you like who has the higher estimate.Without disclosing the competitors name inform him of the difference.

Better yet.,Copy the original estimates.Use a black sharpie and cover the companies name,logo,and signature of the person who submitted the estimate.Then show the contractor you like.

The copies will prove the estimates are legitimate and your not trying to decieve with bogus figures.Maybe something on his estimate was miscalculated.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 10-16-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
mstanleyg (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

New roof pricing

Whichever contractor you end up with, make sure you have a signed contract with a clear scope of work. Also, depending on the age of your home, you might want to have the contractor include an estimate for a new roof deck.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #6

New roof pricing

Thank you for your advice!! I agree - as I found out over the years - there are so many things that can go wrong with a roof - that I want to do this only once. Fortunately the guy I am thinking of comes well recommended and has done some outstanding work locally in a higher priced neighorhood,but due dilligence is always necessary, as you suggest.

Thanks again!!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #7

New roof pricing

To Roofmaster-thanks for the information and guideance. I don't know the exact pitch infor, but the front is fairly steep followed by a garage section that is not pitched much - where they meet is a constant source of problems and repair - just recently had some copper flashing placed to fix a leak. Back of the house basically is three doggie dormers with a moderate pitch behind them.

I plan on going back to the contractor about price - while I like him - I want a fair deal.

thanks again.