Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

new roof for an old 1 and 1/2 story house

My small 1 and Ĺ story house (20 by 24 feet) needs new roof. Iíve got this house recently and I think that the last time the roof was done was 1960s J. It does not leak but the neighbors say that ice has to be trimmed from it with an ax J. I know nothing about roofs but I want the roof to last.
I am in Ottawa, Canada . Iíve called a company that installs metal roofs and they told me that I need 10 squares of shingles (1000 sq feet), my roofís pitch is 12/12 and it will cost approximately $12,000-$15,000!!! Given that my house is tiny I did not plan on these numbers L
Could you, please, recommend me what kind of shingles I need for my relatively steep small roof. I will not be able to have the attic insulated right because the house in 1940s and there will be definitely some heat loss, so ice on the roofís edge is probably inevitable. I honestly donít know if I am right about it though. Any advice is much appreciated!!!

michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,042

Can you post some pictures.
You lost me on why this can not be insulated, one of the single most cost effective and fast pay backs any DIY 101 can do there self.
You also need soffit and roof vent to get rid of any heat and moist air in the attic.
Any shingles will work on a 12-12 pitch but dimensional shingles will last longer.
Should be able to remove and replace 10 sq. in one day. Should only cost around a couple thousand for labor and materials.
Install a layer of Storm and Ice shield along the lower edges.
Add drip cap to all edges.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,016

sounds like a lot of squares for the area, I don't know your roof layout but I'd first double check their numbers.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 158

Your home has a second story with a sloped ceiling and small attics on the side, correct? If so properly venting it is expensive, but proper insulation isn't too complicated. 10 squares is about right for the style of home I'm thinking of.
Asphalt shingles work fine, and are much more affordable then metal roofing. Make sure you get a row or 2 of ice and water shield installed so the inevitable ice dams don't cause any leaks.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Do you think I can buy shingles and hire someone to install them for me or it will not be cheaper ? Can you buy shingles on line?
Do I get it right:
1) old layers of shingles have to be removed to the ?bare plywood? if the plywood is rotten then it has to be replaced and roof trusses have to be looked at at the same time. Since the roof is VERY old I anticipate problems Maybe I became pissimistic now that I've got this house... and everything still may end up OK...
2) Ice and water liner has to be put along the edge of the roof. Two layers (on top of each other?)
3) new shingles have to be nailed down and the "drip" edge (I don't know yet what this is" is installed.

Please, tell me if this sounds like an idiot's guide for roofing
michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,042

Well, most of that was not correct.
I'll post just one of the many websites of a shingle company all of them will have install directions online to give you an idea of how it's done.
http://www.certainteed.com/resources...kTLInstall.pdf

I just picked one at random, there installed with the same principle in mind, water runs down hill.
Shingles are commonly sold in bundles, on average each bundle weighs 75 Lb.
Most often it takes 3 bundles to make a square, a sq. is 10' X 10'.
So 1000 sq. ft. would be 10 sq.. 10 Sq. X 3 would be 30 bundles.
30 bundles X 75 Lb. = 2250 Lb.
What do you think shipping would be if you ordered them on line?

A 12-12 pitch takes special equipment and extra safety measures.
In your case I'd suggest picking up the phone book and looking under roof to get at least three quotes on having this done for you.