DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Roof Leaks

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Paultergeist 
#1 ·
Our roof over attached garage addition was roofed last week. While we were waiting for the framing inspection, it rained and the roof leaked from the outside corner where the new roof ties into the existing roof. We contacted the contracted and he said it needed more caulk. The roof came by and caulked to his heart's content and assured us that all was well. Luckily, it rained and it still leaked. I don't have pics from outside as spouse is afraid of heights. I have attached pics from inside the room. Not sure it will do any good. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#17 ·
Speaking as a non-professional who has been down a very similar road as you now depict, it is obvious to me that (a) your contractor did not do it right the first time and (b) he doesn't really intend (or know how) to make it right this second time. Stating that a significant roof leak "needed more caulk" reflects that he is either incompetent or dishonest. I would not want him to come back to my house, only to perform just enough of a half-hearted patch-job as to pass inspection.

I do not know where you are at -- payment-wise -- with your contractor. Assuming there is yet a final payment to be made to him, perhaps it can be agreed upon that you'll subtract some amount of money such that you can help off-set the costs of hiring someone who actually understands roofing. The contractor probably will not like this idea, but you might point out that it will allow him to indemnify himself of liability regarding future roof leaks. It also keeps you both out of court at this juncture.

In my opinion, the thing that you really need to do right now is document that which has happened thus far -- including the recent leak events. You really need to see *how* this thing was put together before gallons of caulk get spread on the roof. It sounds to me like you may not be confident or physically able to climb ladders? If that is the case, get a friend or acquaintance to go both on top of your roof and also inside the rafters to photo-document the leaks and the construction. I would also get a couple of other roofing contractors to provide written estimates on fixing the issue, as this will help serve as documentation as to what was done incorrectly in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.