Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #1

Share |

new roof installation

I live in NY state , how late in the year do you think a new roof could be installed on my garage as far as the temperature and the shingles sealing properly?

hitmehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
MJW

new roof installation

As long as it's not in a dusty area and you do a good job with good materials, you can put shingles on in almost any temp. We have put on many roofs below freezing temps (some below 0 F) and haven't had a problem. The shingles will seal the next sunny warm day.

The guys slamming in many roofs a week usually don't work in the cooler temps. Too many problems. Plus their labor usually heads back south.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

new roof installation

The optimal temp range is above 40degrees... If you are below 40, you can still install but make sure to store materials inside before the installation.

Installing the ice/water shield is a good indicator whether or not you are having a problem. If it sticks, you are good.... If it doesn't you may have an issue.

Hope this helps.

PS. The 40 degree # is recommended by GAF... Personally, I think the number is closer to 30
RoofDiagnostics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

new roof installation

it was pretty cold the morning they started on my roof. i would say around 40. but it warmed up to like 65 by 11am
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

new roof installation

I live in Minnesota. Brutal winters here. I have installed hundreds, if not closer to 1000 roofs in the winter months. I have honestly never had a problem shingling when it is cold. You just have to watch air pressure for your nailers so your nails aren't setting too deep and blowing through the shingles.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote