Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

New Roof Has Ventilation Issue

Hi,

New to the forum. I am located in hot Florida and just had my home of 15+ years re-roofed. Single story home, very straightforward layout, cathedral ceilings in most of the home (except bedrooms and bathrooms). Went from a 3 tab to CertainTeed Lifetime architectural shingles. New shingles are just a slight shade darker gray (I'd say about medium in color). And went from 15# felt to 30# felt. House faces North, not much shade to speak of. The living space is about 1800 sq ft, and when factoring in the garage the total attic sq footage is in the 2250 range. Passive ventilation with soffit/ridge vent.

I THOUGHT I used a reputable roofer but the workmanship and practices of the crew was not very good. That aside, it is now getting hot out (90 peak heat give or take a few degrees) and I am suddenly experiencing issues that I've traced to most likely being an attic ventilation problem. It started with my AC running more frequently than normal and it starts cycling earlier in the day than it used to. Upon investigation here's what I determined....

- The ridge vent was changed from 40 feet of aluminum (likely 18" sq/in per ft) to 37 feet of Lomansco Lo-OmniRoll vent (11 sq/in per ft.).

The attic is hotter than I ever recall, the heat transferring down the trusses is unreal. I am measuring a 30 to 35 degree delta between attic temps and outside air during peak heat and we aren't even fully into the really hot, humid Florida Summer yet.

I used to be able to open my attic stairwell in the garage and be able to vent out the attic fairly quickly. Now I don't hardly feel any air being pulled in - unless there is wind in which case there can be a lot of breeze sucked up into the attic. This is how the design of the Omni Roll works from what I understand - very efficient in wind. But otherwise seems my attic is now under ventilated due to loss of about 50% of surface area of ventilation compared to what I used to have at the ridge with the aluminum vent.

The roofer is incredibly difficult, we do not have a good relationship now because of the shoddy work his crew did, and he'd rather default to bullying me and making excuses rather than accept responsibility and do things right. The owner also misled me into thinking he already paid his material supplier when I paid him. Eventually this was resolved but it just gives you guys a clue of the kind of roofer I'm dealing with. Anyway, can any of you pro's provide me some guidance on what you suggest I do next? I could have the ridge vent extended another 8 feet, and that would surely help but not sure if it would still be enough.

I could TRY calling the local building inspector to get ammo to use on the roofer, or get a second opinion, but most contractors around here have this weird secret code where they won't ever get involved and go on the record that a fellow contractor did a crap job. And if I hire somebody else it will void my warranty with my current roofer.

Would I be asking for more trouble that it is worth having the current style vent extended from 37 to 45 feet?? Will I be risking potential leak issues if somebody tries to extend or replace the ridge vent at this point?

Advice please! Suggestions, tests, paths to pursue, etc, anything will be appreciated...

Sonic

Last edited by SonicExplorer; 05-26-2013 at 10:15 PM.
SonicExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Start by calling the roofer back that did the job, and have them figure out why you are stating that it is warmer than you feel that it should be. Most likely the most obvious answer will be, that it has been warmer earlier this year, as it was last year, but previous years for your area, may not have been as warm this early.

Really, the only way to figure out how hot it is getting up there, is by placing a remote sensor, that you can read the info from your living area. I use the Radio Shack Weather Forecaster, that allows three remote sensors with it. I have one sensor in my attic, the other in my basement. Did not have the unit before we got our roof changed, but after we got our roof changed, I got the unit, and found out over the first year with the added vents along the ridge, it was still getting up to 130, so about two years ago, had a thermostat controlled ventilation fan put in, to help draw out hot air from the attic space.

The fan brought temps down from 130, to only getting as hot as 112 at the peak of the day, when it is around 96-98 outside, with 78%-86% humidity. By Sunset around 7:30 at night, I see the temps start dropping really fast, to where it is as low as 92 by that time, but at around 5pm when we get home, it is usually 95 up there. The way I know this, is either when I am home for the day during the week, or on the weekends.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Start by calling the roofer back that did the job, and have them figure out why you are stating that it is warmer than you feel that it should be. Most likely the most obvious answer will be, that it has been warmer earlier this year, as it was last year, but previous years for your area, may not have been as warm this early.

Really, the only way to figure out how hot it is getting up there, is by placing a remote sensor, that you can read the info from your living area. I use the Radio Shack Weather Forecaster, that allows three remote sensors with it. I have one sensor in my attic, the other in my basement. Did not have the unit before we got our roof changed, but after we got our roof changed, I got the unit, and found out over the first year with the added vents along the ridge, it was still getting up to 130, so about two years ago, had a thermostat controlled ventilation fan put in, to help draw out hot air from the attic space.

The fan brought temps down from 130, to only getting as hot as 112 at the peak of the day, when it is around 96-98 outside, with 78%-86% humidity. By Sunset around 7:30 at night, I see the temps start dropping really fast, to where it is as low as 92 by that time, but at around 5pm when we get home, it is usually 95 up there. The way I know this, is either when I am home for the day during the week, or on the weekends.
Thanks. I'm already monitoring temp as you mention. I'm getting 120+ already this year during peak heat at about 90 degrees outside. Never measured with the old roof so I don't have a comparison, but I DO know something is different because not only is my AC running more than normal, but the guest bathroom was noticeably warmer, which it never was before. To make a long story short, there is a false roof over the last two "rafter" rows over that bathroom which has NO insulation. (I just figured this out last night...the builder blocked off the false roof from the main attic roof so there is no way in there, just a few inches at the bottom edge enough to see in). Anyway, the heat is coming down right through the drywall under that last rafter pair. So I know for sure the attic is not venting like it used to. Having said that, I won't even be able to get that explanation out with the roofer, he'll cut me off and tell me the ventilation is normal with a bunch of excuses trying to explain away the problem. The math doesn't lie, the vent system I now have is about 50% less surface area at the ridge. Granted if the soffits aren't providing as much intake then it wouldn't matter, but in this case I'd say the fact the attic stairs being opened with no noticeable draft occurring pretty much proves the ridge vent is governing the ventilation and the 50% reduction is the cause.

What kind of ridge vent did you have before you installed the fan? Aluminum or plastic? Brand?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Again, you need to get the roofer back to figure out why the attic is not venting properly. As for ridge vent, I do not have any, I have Standard aluminum Slanted Roof vents, placed aprx two feet below the ridge line. As for the brand, really cannot tell you, due to it has been about five years since we had the roof done, and all materials came from our locally owned ABC building materials supply company in my town.

As for the power vent, it is a Lomanco brand, that we have up there. We are unable to place soffit venting, and the venting that is placed along the base of the roof where the gutters are, our roofer does not like that, and the classes he has been through with GAF, and also due to the fact that his family has been in construction for over 100 years, they will not use that as he calls it, a garbage cheap method of venting, when you do not have soffits.

So as for your problem, and as I stated twice already, call the roofer back up and get them there to fix the problem. Was anyone there while the roofers did this work, or did you guys just leave for the day, "trusting" their word that they would have it done per agreement? You would not be surprised that there have been hundreds of times, that ridge venting has been installed, but the roofer never cut away the plywood or sheathing material, to allow venting, along with when they installed baffles at the base of where the roof meets the ceiling of the living area, that the baffles were installed backwards, not all the way down to the edge, due to not removing insulation material before placing the baffles, or even better, the soffits are there, but again no material removed to allow the venting to work like it is designed to do.

A tip for you, once you open the attic hatch, place a fan to pull air out of the attic for about a hour or two, then while you are up there with someone keeping an eye on you because of the heat and low humidity, which makes for a good mix to cause you to pass out on a hot day up in a attic, have a fan pushing air up there, to help give you a breeze. That is how I have done it, to go up and do a inspection inside during the Summer, because I did not do it during the Winter or early Spring.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Lord of Slums

The last roofer that did your roof sounds a lot like my ex wife. It was rather expensive but I ended the relationship and went with a new wife. Just seems that the old roofer is going to do more harm than good at this point. Sorry, just seems to be the norm these days. You mentioned shoddy workmanship, do you have any pictures? If I was in your position I would start looking around for someone that can help . Sounds like the warranty will only add up to more trouble. Their is always the other way where the lawyer puts a bunch of legal threats on a letter head. You, then go to legally attacking their business in the many ways available. BBB, Angie's list, yelp, ect. IMHO I would not put a ridge vent on a house. But many people are going to strongly disagree about that. Maybe you could just go back to exactly the old ridge vent you had and see if that helps. In the defense of your last roofer, sometimes things do not work out because the tradesman will miss an important fact. It happens to the best of us.
mj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #6

if you know it needs more v entilation, call someone else and have them install more.

leave the ridge vent alone and install some passive vents near the top.

not a hard concept is it?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Most homes have more than enough exhaust when it comes to those that are vented via a ridge vent.

Way more often is the case where the soffits or intake vents are not working properly.

If the ridge vent is cut back properly and a good system is utilized, they are overwhelmingly not the issue.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
The last roofer that did your roof sounds a lot like my ex wife. It was rather expensive but I ended the relationship and went with a new wife. Just seems that the old roofer is going to do more harm than good at this point. Sorry, just seems to be the norm these days. You mentioned shoddy workmanship, do you have any pictures? If I was in your position I would start looking around for someone that can help . Sounds like the warranty will only add up to more trouble. Their is always the other way where the lawyer puts a bunch of legal threats on a letter head. You, then go to legally attacking their business in the many ways available. BBB, Angie's list, yelp, ect. IMHO I would not put a ridge vent on a house. But many people are going to strongly disagree about that. Maybe you could just go back to exactly the old ridge vent you had and see if that helps. In the defense of your last roofer, sometimes things do not work out because the tradesman will miss an important fact. It happens to the best of us.
Your right ridge vents are some times over rated. My home I had a ridge vent put on not enough to move the heat out premature roof failure had to redo the roof and add a row of passive vents along the roof two feet from the ridge. Ridge vents have their place.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

You can't mix passive and active, nor add to passive unless it is an extension. Otherwise you risk pulling air from unintended locations. For example, adding off-ridge vents to a house that already had a ridge vent would be trouble. The ridge vent could end up pulling in weather through the off-ridge vents, etc instead of the lower soffit intake.

I could extend the current vent another 10 feet, for about 20% increase, but I have a feeling that may not do the trick. Rather, what needs to happen is a proper ridge vent needs to be replaced. That would involve ripping up the current one, and I can just see the contractors tearing up the asphalt on the new roof shingles while working up there. I'd wait until Winter when it's cool but by then so much miscellaneous damage is going to be done to the drywall, siding and duct connections that I don't dare stall things.

This is just awful....
Old 05-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #10

Bummer; http://inspectapedia.com/roof/Roof_Venting_Ratios.htm

Need the baffles; http://www.oikos.com/esb/30/atticvent.html

Watch;

Ridge at 18NFVA gives 9NFVA per foot each side of house for 1/150; http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Shingle color makes a big difference in roof deck temps; http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...2/feature2.asp

OTOH, http://www.huduser.org/Publications/PDF/nistir.pdf

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2002/rose02a.pdf

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...mH81PA&cad=rja

I agree with this thought, where did you get your basis?=- Airvent?; http://en.allexperts.com/q/Roofing-1...able-Vents.htm

Hard to find any real calibrated results; http://www.finehomebuilding.com/desi...ble-vents.aspx

Gary