Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

new roof flew away

Hi everyone
We had a new roof installed two weeks ago. It was a windy day today we ended up losing half our roof shingles. I noticed there is a tape strip in the shingles. Does any one know if this tape strip should have been removed prior to installation?

thank you

can98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #2

new roof flew away

Quote:
Originally Posted by can98 View Post
Hi everyone
We had a new roof installed two weeks ago. It was a windy day today we ended up losing half our roof shingles. I noticed there is a tape strip in the shingles. Does any one know if this tape strip should have been removed prior to installation?

thank you
no it should not be removed, you needed warm weather to bond shingles togather! call the insurance co. out of the ordinary weather.

butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #3

new roof flew away

great!
thank you butlersprints
Old 12-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 6

new roof flew away

The tape stays. Can you post a pic so we can see the shingle and the nail hole locations?
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #5

new roof flew away

maybe the new roofing was nailed to high or not at all
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #6

new roof flew away

here is a picture of a shingle that came of the roof

thanks again
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #7

new roof flew away

I see four nail holes in a 3 tab shingle, that should have been plenty of nails. What I cant see is if they used too much line pressure and blew the nails threw the shingles.

Where are you located and what are the normal winds for your area?

Shingles need heat to bond together, which wont happen until late spring. Any roof installed in a cold climate in the winter is at risk for losing shingles in high winds.

If these were dimensional shingles, they would be heavier and less likely to "peel" off. FWIW.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #8

new roof flew away

thank you post AndrewF

We are in Ontario, Canada. We did experience high winds up to 90km/h.
I understand heat or high temperatures are required for the shingles to bond. But shouldn't the roof contractor have explained this to me so I would have the option to proceed with the installation since the work was contracted to be completed by Dec. 15. Also, if the roof contractor knew installing a roof at this time of the year may compromise the intergerty of the shingles shouldn't he have used for nails?

can98
Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #9

new roof flew away

That probably "Should Have" been part of the discussion.

The problem arises when people book their jobs heading into an uncertain weather climate that is typically unknown.

Given the choice to work on your roof, or anyone else's roof for that matter, and wait until the spring thaws and starve and get behind on their finances would be an unreasonable expectation, in my opinion.

If the shingles were nailed properly, minimum requirement being 4 nails per shingle in the correct positioning, or 6 nails per shingle for intense storm nailing patterns, if high winds are typical for your region, then they "May Have" improperly nailed the shingles.

Your wind speed seems excessively high, so quite possibly, the shingles may have blown off, regardless of correct nail placement and quantities.

At this point, this necessarily should become an issue with your home owners insurance coverage company.

As far as the clear tape on the underside, as correctly explained already, it does not interfere with the shingle installation at all. It serves 2 purposes. One, to prevent the shingle sealant from sticking to the next successive shingle in the stack inside of each bundle and secondly on some occasions from some manufacturers, they imbed certain coded numbers on the cellophane to control their warranty process, by having a date and manufacturing facility code imprinted onto it.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #10

new roof flew away

can98 - I am an office manager at a roofing company in D/FW Texas and deal with wind damaged shingles regularly.

Everybody that responded is correct about the shingles needing to have time to bond with heat. Obviously in Canada this time of year more than likely this won't happen anytime soon.

4 nails per shingle on a conventional 20 year shingle is spec. Most 20 year shingles have a warranty that will withstand up to 60-70 mph winds. 90 km/h = 55.8 MPH. (Owens Corning, Tamko, ETC.)

The first thing I would do is contact your roofing contractor to let them be aware of the problem. Try to get them to replace the shingles first for free. I highly doubt this will happen but it's worth a shot. (We have done it before to make a customer happy).

If they are not on board with this they SHOULD tell you information to make a claim through the shingle manufacturer's warranty. For example if you have OC shingles, you would send them a sample of a few shingles, pictures of your roof, etc. to show them the nail pattern was correct & the installation was correct. What they then will do is send you all of the damaged shingles that need to be replaced. However, what their warranty will not cover is INSTALLATION of these shingles. Maybe the original roofing contractor will install the new shingles for cost because of your situation?...

Obviously all of this takes time and it might be frustrating waiting on your shingles while half of your shingles are missing. This needs to be made very clear - the last thing you want is for your exposed decking (if you have any) to get drenched by snow & rain for weeks and then for leaks to start occuring.

If you need any additional help feel free to ask me!
blinkimgone04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #11

new roof flew away

We install roofs here in coastal Massachusetts all winter long in all temps. No blow offs or problems if they are installed right. If my company and its employees could afford to take a season off it would be the summer for sure.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #12

new roof flew away

Heres the bottom line, you the home owner have to take action one way or another, to protect your home & belongings! If the job is only 2 weeks old , call the roofer, Inquire about the warranty ect. Most roofers will take care of problems to avoid bad rap. Also contact Insurance co. as this sounds like an "ACT OF GOD" (weather) claim. If in fact the roofer didn't hand nail in the cold weather, then perhaps his setting was a little high, & the shingle temp was cold ,so nails may have been breaking shingle on impact,(proof is tough call) Either way act soon to avoid further trouble,(save receipts). Roofers do work year round ,however in cold weather the job is at risk for just what has occured, They blew off.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:26 AM   #13

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

new roof flew away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooferJim View Post
We install roofs here in coastal Massachusetts all winter long in all temps. No blow offs or problems if they are installed right. If my company and its employees could afford to take a season off it would be the summer for sure.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
like Jim said never a problem in many years in business---seems to be a nailing issue(bottom 4 over keys ok,but nail holes in top/headlap show high nailing)also too much pressure can cause these problems

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote