New Roof Done By A Roofer -Problems/wavy - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

New Roof done by a Roofer -Problems/wavy

Hello,
I just had a roof done a few weeks ago, and am having real concerns over the quality. It was a lot of money to have done. I've been told it will 'lay down' and given other explanations, but I have doubts. The overhang is between 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" depending on the area and the roof is already starting to sag into the gutters. There is no drip edge and I had new gutters put in at the same time; there are many areas of exposed wood between the gutters & the shingles. My husband thinks I'm being a little picky, but this is a huge amount of money to us. I also lifted up a few shingles in the wavy areas and can put my fingers through some of the plywood underneath - it's still rotted on the ends. They did replace some plywood, but apparently not the ones that just had rot on just the edge? They also didn't cover the felt up on a 1/4 of the house when it rained for a day w/it on and am wondering if that has to do w/some of the waviness. (1st, 2nd, 3rd pic)

The last picture is at the end of the valley where the architectural roof was weaved(I read somewhere that you don't weave architectural shingles-is that right??), it left exposed wood in the corner and a rounded-like corner at the edge. You can see where the gutter guy did a lovely corner job, but I'm going to have to let that go and go for what I believe the more major problems are.

Is there anything I can do about this without taking the whole roof off? My husband and I can't physically do it ourselves due to health problems or else we would have done it in the first place. I'm afraid the roofer doesn't have the money himself to do it again, so he'll probably ask us to pay for the replacement materials if we want it redone-that is if he's even willing to redo it. We already paid him for all the materials plus some labor already, with a small portion remaining to pay which I don't want to give until I know it's acceptable. I just don't know what to do about this. My old roof was flatter than this new one and one reason to get it done was aesthetics besides the main fact it was old and needed replacing.

Please if anyone can advise and let me know what I can do about it and if it can be fixed. I don't know much about roofs except for what I've read online recently. The roofer was supposed to come back and look at it soon, maybe even today, so if someone can give me some feedback on what I should tell him-roofer talk. There's also some large dips in the roof in a couple of areas which he had blamed on rafters, but now that I see rotted wood on the ends underneath the shingles I'm beginning to wonder!

Advertisement

Last edited by middle; 10-22-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: add more pics
middle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

I'm not a roofer but there appears to be many problems with the roof. Both gable and eve sides get drip edges and you should not see any exposed structural wood. The fact that it's been a few weeks now and the roof still has not laid down could mean that the felt is wavy.
As far as the valley, I don't think manufacturers allow weaving architectural shingles. If anything the valley gets too bulky. The gutters are half, if not full, assed too.
What part of the country are you in? Does it snow?

Edit: with that much unsupported overhang, the shingles will curl down towards the gutters as well.

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #3

I live in Oregon where it rains a lot, but we don't get a lot of snow. There was no rain/snow barrier put down, but since we don't get much snow I would assume that's okay. As for the shingle overhang, it's already curling into the gutters -I don't know if they were trying to compensate or fcover rotten plywood edges or what. Actually the valley weave overall looks satisfactory, but don't care for it and there are some areas where the shingles buckle up near the middle of the valley; the bottom corner of the valley does looks awkward and lifts up because the weave I guess doesn't allow it to come down to the corner (plus the overhang doesn't help).

Main concerns are if a drip edge is standard or at least a gutter that goes under the shingles slightly so there's no exposed wood, the rot, and the buckling on the edges. Another thing I noticed is that some shingles only got 2 nails, some a few more; I don't know what's standard but it seems like there should be more. Just trying to figure it out and what to tell the roofer.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 800

Went Cheap...
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,054

First two pictures -
Ragged cut on the edge of the roof, going up the gable/rake -
Looks like over-lapped shingles, instead of butted -
(not "catastrophic" - doesn't look good)
Too much space between the top of the gutter and the roof.
No drip edge - wrong!
Looks like no "starters" on the gables.
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches of shingles into the gutters - too much.
Picture 5 -
Full-wove valley, with "Arch." shingles - not a good idea! -
(Lots of fun to correct!)
Gutters not run far enough into the inside corner -
"Butcher" job on the inside corner!
For a full-wove, valley - looks like it wasn't started correctly.
Your last picture -
Looks like the bottom of valley is wrong -
I can see the top of the rake board!
The roof might not leak - who knows!
Not a good job on the roof and gutters!
2 nails per shingle - no warranty by the manufacturer -
Should be 4 nails (for the pitch of your roof).
I bet there's no "Ice and Water Shield" in the valleys?!
Sorry to be the "bearer of bad tidings"!
Ouch!!

rossfingal

Also - first 2 pics - looks like the gutters are not run far enough past the edge of the roof.

Last edited by rossfingal; 10-23-2011 at 08:54 AM.
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

I agree with most of what rossfingal posted and I would start pushing the issue with your contractor on resolving these issues.

Like rossfingal said, maybe it don't leak, now, but it ultimately will fail far before it ever reaches it expected life span.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
First two pictures -
Ragged cut on the edge of the roof, going up the gable/rake -
Looks like over-lapped shingles, instead of butted -
(not "catastrophic" - doesn't look good)
Too much space between the top of the gutter and the roof.
No drip edge - wrong!
Looks like no "starters" on the gables.
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches of shingles into the gutters - too much.
Picture 5 -
Full-wove valley, with "Arch." shingles - not a good idea! -
(Lots of fun to correct!)
Gutters not run far enough into the inside corner -
"Butcher" job on the inside corner!
For a full-wove, valley - looks like it wasn't started correctly.
Your last picture -
Looks like the bottom of valley is wrong -
I can see the top of the rake board!
The roof might not leak - who knows!
Not a good job on the roof and gutters!
2 nails per shingle - no warranty by the manufacturer -
Should be 4 nails (for the pitch of your roof).
I bet there's no "Ice and Water Shield" in the valleys?!
Sorry to be the "bearer of bad tidings"!
Ouch!!

rossfingal

Also - first 2 pics - looks like the gutters are not run far enough past the edge of the roof.
I think that this about sums it up. Just about everything that could be done incorrectly was in this case.

Hope that you budgeted for leaks in this case.

Where was this bid relative to the others that you got?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #8

I'd like to agree with "Sly" and "W-on-W" - however -
After taking another look at the pictures -
It would be "interesting" to see how the details around the Plumbing,
vent stack and the "Dish" were dealt with!?!
Worser and worser?!
(Tar-R-Us!?!)

rossfingal

Last edited by rossfingal; 10-23-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #9

Thank everyone for the helpful insight. I don't know how to deal with this, I'm feeling really sick to the stomach. I want to make sure I know what to point out when he returns, and I'm sure he'll want the other half of his payment. I know roofing is a lot of work and I just want it paid and done with, but just wish it was done right the first time.

I did get another bid about $300 higher, but didn't include replacing any plywood or gutters. It did include new flashing, drip edge, 6 nail shingles, cleaning up the grounds, metal vents, better shingles, etc; things that I thought this roofer would do, but didn't. We also found someone that would do it for a little less, but we trusted this person to do a better job.

Ross Here's a few pics of the pipes which look like they were cut out pretty nice to me, but don't know what to look for as far as being leak proof The 'Dish' was taken off, so no issues there.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #10

"middle" - did the bid include gutters?
Were roof vents installed?
Were there any roof vents existing?
I didn't see any "drip-edge".
Are there any roof vents on your house?
Just wondering!

rossfingal
Old 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,526

The roof and gutters look like a train wreck.

Have someone get up in the attic to see how much rot they really covered up.

“IF” the guy’s licensed, bonded and insured the go after his bond to get this done right.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #12

Don't give the person any more money!
("Train Wreck" - pretty much!)
Ouch!!

rossfingal

(As far as the "wavy" effect - could be a number of things)

Last edited by rossfingal; 10-23-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

There were roof vents installed (9-10). We insisted on more vents up front because we had been told that we needed more. They did manage to put one over the garage though; unfinished garage w/no attic. My husband likes to heat the garage sometimes-now heat will be going out the vent . I don't have any idea about our rights, if any. He's a licensed roofer, but it's possible not in our state -I'm not sure, my husband would probably know as he mostly dealt w/him. We've never been in a situation like this before. My husband used to do all the repairs on our house until he physically couldn't anymore (really upsets him that he can't-especially when something like this happens).

I was going to look in the attic today for issues, but not sure what I'm looking for or if it would be obvious. I don't know if I'll be able to see the problems from there? The funny thing is we picked this roofer to do the job because he seemed like an intelligent, hard working guy who aimed to please and he wasn't a flake. My husband strongly believed in him and thought he'd do the best job. I took many pics while on the roof, so here's 2 more, vent & ridge-

Question: How do you fix the shingles curling into the gutters because of the large overhang? Trimming them would probably look bad, right?
Any suggestions on what to tell the roofer?

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

I'm normally a lurker but i have to comment. Did you go with the cheapest person you could find? This "roofer" has never used h/d or architectural shingles before i would hope. It appears he racked them out like a traditional 3 tab. Everything you need to know about installing the shingles are included in the instructions on the backside of the shingle bundle. I'm not even going to comment about the bad valleys. This roof will never look right or perform right. Additionally the gutters are totally wrong. It appears he nailed the hangers in below the gutter back and used box miters in corners. Thats what homeowners do when buying sections and pieces from big box stores. Pay him no more money and figure how to pay to replace everything when it fails. Manufacturers warranties are voided when improperly installed, that is always their favorite position.
kmroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 852

wow i have to say i am not a roofer but there is no way that thing was installed correctly.

Advertisement

federer is offline   Reply With Quote