Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |

new roof - code requirements & quotes

Hello everyone... hope you can give me some advice. Looks like the ins. co. says new roof, and I'm getting some quotes. 1400 sq ft, 25+ years old (South FL). First says I absolutely need single wraps and second water barrier, second guy didn't even mention it. What I'm wondering, is it necessary to have the wraps installed, and maybe what is a fair price for this size house. Also, lower quote says he uses Tamco Heritage Premium vs, first quote 25 yr GAF... what do you all think?

Thanks in advance...

terni38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

new roof - code requirements & quotes

Go with the best your money can afford. We ended up going with GAF's Elk shingles, due to they have on the bottom edge the tar, vs at the top edge as conventional shingles have. With the high winds we get here in Illinois, we have not had any problems with lift or deterioration of the shingle.

Ice and rain shield is a must. There is now a newer product that took the place of felt paper, that acts as a rain shield, and can stand up to severe weather.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote