New Roof And Chimney Repoint - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New roof and chimney repoint

I'm about to replace the roof on my house -- removing existing shingles, installing new 5/8" CDX decking (bottom layer appears to be wood shingles), add/cover fascia boards, replace gutters and soffits, etc. One of the roofing contractor companies is saying that they will re-point the chimney. According to the person who came out for the estimate it is a matter of using a wire brush to scrape off any loose mortar and then putting new mortar as if icing a cake. The chimney is used for the exhaust on a gas boiler and water heater only. Hopefully you can see the pics of the chimney. I'm hoping to get your sense of whether re-pointing is a good idea. Frankly I had never given the chimney much thought before. By the way, this contractor is about $800 more than the next guy, so in essence that's how much the re-pointing will cost me as the other bids are all similar in cost and work to be done. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Last edited by clhernandez; 07-22-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: no pics
clhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote