New Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

New roof

I'm in Iowa its cold will we have any trouble sticking down the new roof. I mean will it stick down O K in the cold. Thanks

Advertisement

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

New roof

They won't stick until it's warm out....spring maybe.I presume we're talking shingles,right?

Advertisement

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

New roof

If the structure getting shingled is in an open farm field type of environment, the sealant will either not adhere yet at all, or it will just get slightly tacky and wide open rolling wind gusts could lift them up and possibly blow some or many of the shingle tabs backwards or off.

If there are a lot of trees around the structure, then the wind forces will not be as violent.

If you are really concerned, either wait until the warmer weather or just make sure you have the premium insurance coverage for your property, which includes code upgrades and higher valued reimbursement maximums.

We roof all year long, including the winter, barring extreme cold or snow and only one time can I recall that we had some shingles blow off during the windy winter months.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #4

New roof

Thanks Ed, Its my insurance co. thats making me do the roof. It looks like sh*t, but it don't leek. Come Monday looks like 38* so I don't want new shingled blowing off if cold is a problem. I got 4 bids 2 are using Certainteed Architectural and 2 are using CRC. I don't know witch was to go. There is only 200.00 difference between the high and the low. what do you think?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #5

New roof

CRC are the garbage shingles from Menards.

Definitely choose the Certainteed Architectural shingles, which I presume would be the Landmark 30 years.

Ed
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

New roof

It's a crap shoot whether they will stick before the wind gets'em...I've roofed in December and had no problem...but it was a protected site. The level of protection will be the deciding factor of whether it will work or not. 3~ weeks ago, my neighbor had a garage re-roof, that was on Saturday. Sunday when we had the 60-70 MPH wind gusts unprotected from the north pole, the lost probably a dozen or so shingles.

What's your site like?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #7

New roof

Well the garage is out there, and 1/2 of it (32ft) is west facing and 1/2 east. And I'm missing some on the west side, but it doesn't leak! The house is somewhat protected. Maybe 60ft either side one tree.
The CRC have 35 year guarantee............... junk ?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #8

New roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1610 CUB View Post

The CRC have 35 year guarantee............... junk?
What makes it worth a 35 year warranty?

It's just a piece of paper with many exclusions. What is the track record and users opinion of that brand from, wellllll, lets just say only 10 years ago?

Were they even around then?

Ed
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #9

New roof

O.K. Certainteed Architectural shingles it will be.
Now backto the weather wate till spring or roll the dice and go for the gold..........
Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

New roof

What kind of protection do you have from the wind? Is this in town or country.

If I were in need of shingles which it sounds like you are...I'd rather do it now than to to have all the snow, ice and spring rains take their toll...but that's just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #11

New roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
What kind of protection do you have from the wind? Is this in town or country.

If I were in need of shingles which it sounds like you are...I'd rather do it now than to to have all the snow, ice and spring rains take their toll...but that's just my opinion.
Good point, but still I worry about the new ones sticking down. I'm in the county the wind (on occasion) roars through here like Sherman through Georgia
Now if enough Roofers say, Hey there is enough time left this year to get them stuck down good-n-tight I'll do it.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #12

New roof

It all depends on the weather, cloudiness and temperatures that occur after they are installed.

A cloudy 65* day will do less sealing than a sunny 50* day.

I would personally go ahead and roof it, but I would use the 6 Nail Storm Nailing pattern for the wind concern, instead of the standard 4 Nail per shingle application.

Make sure that the nail placement is precisely where the manufacturer states they must be.

Also, many years ago, asphalt shingles were not even made with a self sealing tar strip and they lasted many many years.

Ed
Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

New roof

The Certainteed shingles are a good bet in high winds even if they are not stuck down yet
Also depending where you get the Gaf/Elk shingle (We get ours out of the Shafter plant, this is actually one of the Elk plants bought out by Gaf last year. 2 years ago we were installing them in the middle of winter on a hillside totally exposed to winds of 100 miles an hour & did not lose a single shingle. We lost a whole building(we hadn't roofed it yet) in the complex from a 150 ft tree.
Do a bit of research as to where that Gaf/Elk shingle is coming from.Elk had 3 plants. Elk always guaranteed that they would stick down even if they were layed in winter.
Dale (DC Roofing Inc)

Advertisement

Dale Chomechko is offline   Reply With Quote