Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

New Roof

Allow me to ask a few questions about roofs. I had a new one installed cause it was time. I never really thought about them until now. Now I notice roofs with staining and curling shingles. WTH?

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

New Roof

Shingles that are stained up could be stained for many different reasons.,too many to really tell you all of them.

One of the many and maybe the leading reason for the staining/streaking in the past was algae.Rust is another issue.

Shingles are now AR shingles.(Algae Resistant.)But with everything the material (Shingles) have a limited warranty for the Resistance.

Not too long ago AR shingles was an option.AR shingles at that time were more expensive than an Non resistant shingle.

Different AR products were and still are on the market whether it be the shingles or spray type cleaners or zinc strips.

I have a very early day tomorrow so I will let someone else jump on the curling etc.I have no idea why my posts are so friggin long.

Other people can throw out a quick and dialed in reply.,.,but nope I guess I am weird.,.,wait no I am not weird I am just a limited edition.,.,
Attached Thumbnails
New Roof-web_roof_algae_moss_lichen_1.jpg   New Roof-shinglerust002djfs.jpg  

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

New Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Allow me to ask a few questions about roofs. I had a new one installed cause it was time. I never really thought about them until now. Now I notice roofs with staining and curling shingles. WTH?
As the shingles get less and less asphalt, they become that much better of a growing surface for moss, mildew, etc.

Algae resistant or otherwise, I would bet that many roofs will see this type of staining in 5-7 years.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

New Roof

I agree with both other post, the AR coding will eventually fail.

There are steps you can take to prolong the time frame of that failure and to minimize the dirty look that will eventually come.

1. Clean your roof (deck) routinely just like you do your gutters.
(Debris laying on the roof interferes with water run off and increases the problem.)
2. Keep any tree's/shrubbery close to the home at roof level trimmed back.
(All tho the problem is air born and can't be stopped, keeping the tree's, etc., off your roof will slow the process.)
3. Clean your roof with a spray on solution that you can rinse off with a simple garden hose.
(Do this bi yearly or so once the new roof is 2 too 4 years old.)

For some people these steps are a diy situation, some times not, but even of you have to pay a contractor or a handy man to do it for you it is well worth the money spent because it not prolongs the look of your roof, but will prolong the longevity of the roof as well.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (10-19-2011)