Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Share |

new installed shingle roof wavy

I just have my old roof removed and new roof installed by a contractor, but the new roof looks wavy. The contractor told me it's because it's winter now and the shingles are shrunk and they will flat when temperature gets quite warm. I'm fishy about the explaination. Could someone give me any advice before I pay several thousand dollors? I appreicate your help very much.
Attached Thumbnails
new installed shingle roof wavy-wavy-roof1.jpg  

Last edited by lucy20120202; 02-03-2012 at 09:22 PM.
lucy20120202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

Lucy, there are literally dozens of threads on this very topic. A quick search will give you all the info you would need. Plus, a picture is worth a thousand words & wouuld give the experts here a much better idea of what is going on with your roof.

Your contractor is telling you the truth, well, at least as far as I can tell...........shingles laid when it is cold out typically take some time to "lay" down and seal.......they need the warmth of the sun to make them seal properly. They should be fine as long as you don't get an awful wind storm.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
lucy20120202 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Especially the 2 and 3 ply architecturals.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
lucy20120202 (02-05-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

+1

Good hot day and they should lay flat relatively quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #5

he telling you the truth. A hot day day and they will lay nice and flat.
roofguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roofguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME!

I try to shy away from doing roofing if its below 50* F for that exact reason. Get a few days of sunny and 50-55 + and they will lay flat. When its cold the shingles cant "bond" to one another so to speak. Once its warm enough and the shingles warm and become pliable again, they will lay flat and look MUCH better than they do now. If you think it LOOKS bad because it was laid cold, try WORKING with shingles in 35-40* weather .
builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by builttolast View Post
I try to shy away from doing roofing if its below 50* F for that exact reason. Get a few days of sunny and 50-55 + and they will lay flat. When its cold the shingles cant "bond" to one another so to speak. Once its warm enough and the shingles warm and become pliable again, they will lay flat and look MUCH better than they do now. If you think it LOOKS bad because it was laid cold, try WORKING with shingles in 35-40* weather .
iv had to roof in 20 degree or lower weather cuz my boss HAD to get it done ha. that sucked! not only did they lay down like crao but half the house had valleys and they were 40 yr old shingles!! not fun. but once the sun hits it like everyone else said they will be fine
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME!

I did that a few times hack, now I just outright refuse haha
builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Stroudsburg Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy20120202 View Post
I just have my old roof removed and new roof installed by a contractor, but the new roof looks wavy. The contractor told me it's because it's winter now and the shingles are shrunk and they will flat when temperature gets quite warm. I'm fishy about the explaination. Could someone give me any advice before I pay several thousand dollors? I appreicate your help very much.
Lucy, the shingles will flatten as the temperature goes up. I would keep an eye on it. It the shingles don't flatten completely your might have under driven nails or slanted nail heads which might be lifting your shingles.

www.pa-homeimprovements.com
PAHome is offline   Reply With Quote