Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Tennessee home owner

Share |

New home roofing rippling/deflection issue

My Tennessee home was started in May 2012 and the roof was put on in late June. We moved into the house March 2013. The shingles or sheathing on the homes roof is lifting /deflecting causing ripples in the roof. This was noticed for the first time a couple of months after the singles were installed.

The builder was made aware of this issue and had the roofer who framed the house and installed the shingles remove and look at a small section. I am not sure the section removed was an area that was lifting. I have looked in the attic at the sheathing and nothing really jumped out at me, but I did not spend a lot of time trying to analyze the problem either. Here is the builder’s email that I requested from him to address the issue “On 11-19-12 We had disassembled a s section of the shingle roofing to investigate the reason causing the shingles being raised up. We also had tested the rafters and OSB for moister content inside the attic space. The OSB roof sheathing had 8-8.5% of moister content, the rafters- 9-9.5%. Based on our testing and research we concluded that certain rafters deflected out temporarily during extreme whether temperature change, resulting in visible shingle deflection. On 11-15-12 I emailed the pictures to the manufacturing rep. there was no defect find in the shingle. Currently the framing and the shingles a visibly appropriately flat. We do not anticipate any future similar issues.”

Since the memo from the builder was written explaining his findings and stating that he did not believe it would happen again, we have visibly seen and have taken pictures on at least 4 occasions of the defection. I believe the raised shingles are always there, but not always as visible based on the sunlight shining on the roof. If this site allows me I will add pictures. I even have a picture of snow on the roof, showing it did not stick to the roof in the areas that have the most visible deflection. The pictures showing the roof deflection and the roof picture showing areas without snow look like they would be close to overlaying on each other.

I believe whatever the roof issue is it must have an impact on the home reliability, whether it would be the roof shingle life, sheathing life, rafter life or as it seems in the picture of snow on the roof, heat loss through the roof. What do you suggest I do about this? Do I need to have an expert evaluate this, where do you find that person? I do not want to lose money down the road to fix the roof; I paid a lot of money to have this home built correctly. If I do nothing to fix the roof now and I sell the home, the new owner would sue me for a new roof if I do not make him aware of the issue. If I tell him of the issue, he will offer me less money for house believing there is a problem with the roof and he will have to spend the money to fix it. It seems to me my builder needs to fix the roof or I should be compensated money back for potential losses down the road that I may incur. At this time the builder has not offered to do either and it seems the out of sight out of mind analogy applies to him. It’s a little embarrassing when friends come over to see our new home and they notice the roof. I have no real explanation I can only tell them that the builder says it’s not a problem, but astatically the roof looks bad.

FYI- the sheathing on this roof is silver backed solar sheathing; it did set out in heavy rains prior to installation. The roofing paper also got wet and wrinkled up, dried and shrunk again while it was on the roof. It was installed several days before the shingles were installed. It was wrinkled again towards the top of the roof the day the shingles were installed as the night before we had a light rain. The lower part of the roof had plenty of sunshine and the paper was not wrinkled as the shingles were installed, but at the top of the roof the paper was still wrinkled when shingles were installed.

Thank You for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
New home roofing rippling/deflection  issue-2013-03-26_07-46-15_70.jpg   New home roofing rippling/deflection  issue-paper-lifted-roof.jpg   New home roofing rippling/deflection  issue-roof12-2-.jpg   New home roofing rippling/deflection  issue-2013-02-01_16-50-16_148.jpg   New home roofing rippling/deflection  issue-2013-03-26_07-47-00_126.jpg  

New home roofing rippling/deflection  issue-2013-04-06_11-00-06_976.jpg  

Last edited by daldelta; 05-23-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: adding different pictures
daldelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

If it was mine I start out with my 6' level up the the attic to just check to see if all the rafters are even. Even a piece of brick string pulled tight would work.
If the even then I'd be ripping off some shingles.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Roofmaster

"Based on our testing and research we concluded that certain rafters deflected out temporarily during extreme whether temperature change, resulting in visible shingle deflection."

Visable shingle deflection????

Never heard of such an animal. The cause of what you have there is probably one or more of the following:

1. Sheathing not properly spaced during installation. Do you see clips between sheets of sheathing from below? Sheathing must be spaced minimum 1/8 inch on all sides during installation. Is the shething an APA rated panel? What is the Type, Thickness, and what is the spacing of the trusses?

2. Shingles were installed over wet, buckled felt.

I always specify minimum 5 ply 19/32 Fir plywood for its dimensional stability. You wont see that on many residential jobs, and that is why you see so many problems in the roofs of residential construction. People do not understand that the IBC is a life safety code, not an aesthetics code. The IBC is concerned that your foot wont go through it, they dont care if it looks like S**T

Last edited by jagans; 05-21-2013 at 09:14 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
funfool (05-21-2013), GBrackins (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

My first thought was h clips for spacing, now the roof is expanding and contracting and sheathing is cut to tight.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

I would think if the clips were left out the raised areas would be horizontal not vertical like these are. There is no clips on the butt ends.
daldelta (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would think if the clips were left out the raised areas would be horizontal not vertical like these are. There is no clips on the butt ends.
No, but you still need to space the sheathing on the short ends too.

The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
daldelta (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

It looks like sheeting is butted too tight which, of course, you can't see from inside since they land on the trusses.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
daldelta (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Tennessee home owner

Thanks everyone for you responses. To answer some of the questions you have. 1) The sheathing is solorbord-Norbord, it is 7/16" thick and it is "APA" rated. The rafters are on 24" centers.
2) I went into the attic to get a closer look. The rafters look like the problem to me. I laid a 4' level on 3 joists at a time, as I could see some unevenness when eyeing down the rafters from one end to the other. All are off to some degree which would be expected but some are off as much as a 1/2". I can rock the level easily if I center the level on lowest of the 3 joists. See the pictures I added to the post.
3) I also noticed that the rafters as they rest against the (not sure my terminology is correct) ridge beam at the very top peak of the house which runs the full length of the home are not flush against the ridge beam. (See pictures) They tend to touch the ridge beam at the very top, but then drifts away from the ridge beam with a taper gap towards the bottom of the beam. In other words the cut is not at the correct angle so it is not flush against the ridge beam. Without the cuts being accurate and fitting flush against the ridge board is probably why I am finding the unevenness between each rafter when I laid a level between them. All the rafter ends were cut by hand and very few fit flush.
Please let me know what you would suggest I do, should I hire an expert to look at this? Should the builder hire the non-biased expert? Should the builder fix this issue? Is there heat loss through the roof based on observing the snow picture? As I mentioned I do not want to get stuck with the repairing the roof later.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Tennessee home owner

Thanks,Please see my response
Old 05-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

How much gap is at the bottom of that one rafter? It looks like at least half an inch, terrible framing.

We run 3/8" ply on 24" centers here, and I've never seen deflection like that on a well built roof system.

I see an attorney in your future.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #11

Well here 9/16ths at 24 oc with h clips. Or 23/32s with no h clips. We only use 7/16ths with 16oc and never use 3/8.

My guesses are bad framing, decking installed too tight, and lack of h clips.

What do you have for ventilation?

And good luck with your lawsuit!
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daldelta View Post
are not flush against the ridge beam. (See pictures) They tend to touch the ridge beam at the very top, but then drifts away from the ridge beam with a taper gap towards the bottom of the beam.
I have five questions ......

what is the size of the rafters?

what is the distance from one side to the other where the rafters attach to either the outside walls or attic floor? (width of roof span)

is there any 2x4/2x6 members attached from the side of one rafter to the opposing rafter under the ridge beam? If you look down the ridge it would look like the letter A, the member I'm asking about would be the straight part of the letter. if there are, how often are they?

is there an attic floor or is the ceiling vaulted/cathedral?

what is the size of the ridge beam?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 05-22-2013 at 07:24 PM.
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Roofmaster

Was that picture of the buckled felt there before, or did I just miss it? This is a severely screwed up roof installation if that's the way they installed ice dams and went over wet felt.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Tennessee home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I have five questions ......

what is the size of the rafters?

what is the distance from one side to the other where the rafters attach to either the outside walls or attic floor? (width of roof span)

is there any 2x4/2x6 members attached from the side of one rafter to the opposing rafter under the ridge beam? If you look down the ridge it would look like the letter A, the member I'm asking about would be the straight part of the letter. if there are, how often are they?

is there an attic floor or is the ceiling vaulted/cathedral?

what is the size of the ridge beam?
1)Rafters are 2*10 (1.5*9) and are 14' long
2)very hard to measure the span, attic has 3 heights and 5 dormers and with the insulation it is very hard to measure. The pitch is different on the back side of the house than the front. Measuring as low as I could on the floor to the back side of the house span is 12' to the centerline, and on the front as you see in the pictures it is 8'. There is more span but I cannot measure any lower do to the floors. If this helps on one end of the house from the top of the ceiling joist to the bottom of the ridge is 12' and the rafters are 14' long on each side. Let me know if you want me to be really accurate and I will get the prints out to measure the pitch and span,not a problem.
3) No members from side to side tying the rafters together.There are vertical supports supporting the ridge beam. See my pictures, I have to delete some to add new.I can send more pictures as well email me at daldelta at aol and I will send more.
4) Yes, my ceilings on the 2nd floor of the home are 12' high, other than a hallway and bathroom. The attic has a floor and its 12' on one end as mentioned and has 2 other lower ceiling heights above the bathroom and hallway.
5)Actual size is a laminated beam 14" tall and 3.5" wide

FYI there are clips between the sheathing and there is a vent on the roofs ridge, it was a plastic piece that is shingled over and runs full length of roof minus a couple of feet on each end. Also have a vent in the gable on each end of the house.
Thanks let me know if you need any more info and let me know your thoughts. Thanks Dave
Old 05-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Tennessee home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Was that picture of the buckled felt there before, or did I just miss it? This is a severely screwed up roof installation if that's the way they installed ice dams and went over wet felt.
Just added,changing pictures based on responses. Can only have 6 at a time. Where are the ice dams in the pictures?

Tags
felt paper, rafters, sheathing, shingles