Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #1

Share |

New gutters or not?

After having my gutters cleaned the company suggested new gutters on the front of the house (300 bucks), not the back. The gutters are grayish metal and 15 years old. How do I know for sure the gutters need replacing? I haven't seen leaks or overflowing. But they did say the gutters were not level.

Wheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #2

New gutters or not?

Properly installed gutters and downspouts do require regular maintenance, such as cleaning and inspection. But, properly installed gutters should slope toward the downspouts, meaning that they are not level in that sense, should not need replacement after 15 years, and should not not leak or overflow. So, since yours are not leaking or overflowing, you can take it from there, but it sounds like you had a rather enterprising crew cleaning your gutters.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

New gutters or not?

After a rain or hosing the roof, check if any water is ponding in the gutter. If difficult for you, hire someone else to check, they may just want to sell new to you.

Gary
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #4

New gutters or not?

Further to DexterII's message, gutters are meant to slope to help direct water downhill to the downspout. If indeed they meant what your message implies either the crew has no knowledge of gutter installation, or worse they are praying on you!

Either way, you probably don't want to have much more dealings with them. Call them out on it - ask if they would re-install the gutters and make sure they're perfectly level. If they say yes, run away!

Do you have any pictures of the gutter you could post?

Cheers
Chris
spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #5

New gutters or not?

I have attached photos for discussion. However I may have misspoke/typed in my initial message. I believe the gutter company said the gutters were not "pitched" properly, where as I typed "not level". Its been raining all night and still raining this morning and I took a couple of photos. I know I said, the gutters were not leaking, but I do see drops of water underneath the gutters in the photos.

I appreciate the feedback. Other than these things looking hella ugly, the cost to replace the front of the house (seen in the photos) is about 300 bucks, which is not bad, I think. Also note the company did not suggest to replace the back of the house only the front.
Attached Thumbnails
New gutters or not?-dsc_2952.jpg   New gutters or not?-dsc_2953.jpg   New gutters or not?-dsc_2954.jpg   New gutters or not?-dsc_2955.jpg   New gutters or not?-dsc_2956.jpg  

Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #6

New gutters or not?

Hi Chris, I posted more info and pictures to the thread. Check out the photos. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #7

New gutters or not?

Try getting some gutter sealant and patching that corner.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote