New Flat Roof Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Flat Roof Questions

Hi,

I have a question for the collective wisdom of the boards. We're replacing a flat roof soon (about 3000 sq. ft). Originally we were trying to decide between EPDM (.060 EPDM, membrane, supplied by Roofing Products International) and TPO (don't have the specifics). As I understood it through online research, TPO had some early failures, but they had reformulated and the product was now vastly improved. Now we've upgraded our request and are considering Sarnafil PVC(.72 mil), which we've been told is the "Cadillac" of flat roofing material (although, I suppose Cadillac no longer has the cache it once did, but I digress).

Also, as I understand the differences between EPDM and TPO (here in Connecticut, with snow and sun, heat and cold), the materials might be secondary to the installers, one-- and two, that each installer has his personal preference, based largely on what he has worked with; two different camps, each pointing to the failures of the other guy's materials, so to speak. . . And TPO has changed formulations so often, there's no one with a roof more than ten years old with this "new" TPO on it; is that right?

So-- does anyone have 1) some clear and cogent advice for choosing among these three materials? and 2) is there anything I should be asking the potential installers about the products?

Thanks,
Tasia

Advertisement

SargassoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

New Flat Roof Questions

The sarnafil pvc is probably the best overall
although much cheaper epdm can be just as good if installed well.
IB roofing is another "cadillac" product in this category.
Stay away from durolast.

Youre right TPO doesnt have the track record, supposedly its gotten better. It still sounds interesting if its warrantied right. (which probably isnt as most warranties arent worth a damn.)
It seems easier for the average roofer to make pvc hot air welds than to glue epdm.

Advertisement

rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

New Flat Roof Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo View Post
The sarnafil pvc is probably the best overall
although much cheaper epdm can be just as good if installed well.
IB roofing is another "cadillac" product in this category.
Stay away from durolast.

Youre right TPO doesnt have the track record, supposedly its gotten better. It still sounds interesting if its warrantied right. (which probably isnt as most warranties arent worth a damn.)
It seems easier for the average roofer to make pvc hot air welds than to glue epdm.
I disagree. Gluing is much easier than welding.

As far as the original question, I only do seamless membranes.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

New Flat Roof Questions

We do both EPDM and TPO. I like the welded TPO seams, but I can get 20' wide EPDM, but only 10' TPO. So there are likely more seams with TPO.

There are questions about the longevity of TPO that haven't been answered yet.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote