New Flat Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

new flat roof

Hi all, will be undertaking the install of a rubber flat roof with a 2% slope. Total roof size is 25 x 20.

I've helped with the install of this material (rubber with torch), and am comfortable with applying, melting pieces together. What I am not so sure about is the ends. Both the bottom at the trough, and the sides.
How is it finished? Curve the rubber into the eaves at the bottom? How about the sides?
Thanks...

Advertisement

gkaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

new flat roof

Call me goofy but before I will give advice for torch applications I like to know the torch bearers experience level.How many torch downs have you performed?

Have you been lead on several entire torch projects from start to finish? How many torch applications have you been associated with?
Attached Thumbnails
new flat roof-12-oaks-fire-roof.jpg  

Advertisement

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,306

new flat roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Call me goofy but before I will give advice for torch applications I like to know the torch bearers experience level.How many torch downs have you performed?

Have you been lead on several entire torch projects from start to finish? How many torch applications have you been associated with?
+1,000,000

Huge liabilities with torch down applications if you don't know what you are doing. This is not a DIY'er project in that application.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #4

new flat roof

That argument doesn't hold much water with me. Respecting the good tradesmen out there, I trust myself with fire on my roof more than many proff roofers that I know.

Electrical wiring should not been done by those incapable either....but we do all the time...

I'm not a pro, but with research and common sense, I've built a garage, wired my entire home, redone all plumbing and much more.

This is a DIY forum and some advise would be appreciated even just for knowledge so a homeowner doesn't, get HOSED by a 'pro' getting paid for the work. As they so often do.
Unfortunately.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

new flat roof

I am sure you are more than capable in this case, however, citing plumbing, framing and even electrical skills in justification of a torch down roof is not applicable in my opinion.

Torch down roofs are a specific skill that is acquired over time and how the material behaves, how much heat to apply, torch awareness, etc. are all learned and perfected with practice.

That being said, there are roofs that have been burned down by experience roofers so torch down applications are just a bit tricky altogether. There is not much feel or exposure risk with electrical, framing, or plumbing. They are either done right or they are not...not much middle ground. You can also turn off the circuit/water/etc. and have proper safety while doing the work.

If you have a flat roof and are set on doing it, why not go with one of the other systems available (TPO, EPDM, Standing Seam metal - double mechanical lock)?

I appreciate you DIY'er spirit as I try to do all the work on my own vehicles, home, etc. That being said, I know enough to limit my exposure and would not take chances were my safety or my families safety in question.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

new flat roof

Ok....then I should feel proud that a torch roof that I did with a friend who is a butcher 15 yrs ago still to date with no leaks. 1500ft sq
Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

new flat roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaro View Post
This is a DIY forum and some advise would be appreciated even just for knowledge so a homeowner doesn't, get HOSED by a 'pro' getting paid for the work. .
I agree that there are alot of crooked contractors out there.But IMO there are more competent than otherwise.

True this is a Diy forum.But in turn there are a certain list of ethics that must be applied.I feel that the moderators and owners of these sites expect a certain amount of common sense with the advice given as well as who it is given to.

I won't give advice if there is potential for the poster or the posters family and or neighbors can have a direct impact from my advice.

Torch applications are all different.There is no real checklist when using a torch.It takes much more experience than sitting in on a project.If the material reacts to a certain technique then in a split second you have to make a change with your technique.Each job has something different none is the same.IMO of course.

Less than a minute can change your life as well as your neighborhoods.I have seen what happens with inexperience when using a torch.It is not pretty.I applaud your confidence but I don't think and will never think a torch application is the best roof system for installation for a DIY'r.

With no bigger than what the project is and with you wanting to do it yourself.,why not use a single fully adhered roof system?.,

It is your project and I am sure you will get the advice from somewhere about torch app but I would hope you would consider the single app.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 01-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #8

new flat roof

I can't say I disagree. If the adhered system is a good one, then I will definitely look at going that route. How about epdm?

I'm in Ontario Canada, and the project will have to get done just below freezing temp.

Does this affect what I choose?
Thanks again for your help...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

new flat roof

TPO full adhered and heat welded seam.

Again, not much of a DIY system but far less risk involved.

EPDM is also a good option.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

new flat roof

Definately Epdm.Lots of educational resources for that system.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

new flat roof

For starters rubber is rubber or epdm and its not put on with a toarch.
Modbit is what you are refering to.
Go with epdm but dont glue anything below 40 deg or it will be a blister fest.
Google epdm installation video theres quite a few out there.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #13

new flat roof

Ok...so if I have to do something below freezing...what should I choose?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

new flat roof

Torch down modbit(two ply minimum) or mechanically attached tpo would be my choices.

Advertisement

BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote