Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Is a new attic turbine ventilator the answer?

It has been very windy lately and the weather cap for the electric attic ventilation fan blew off and is nowhere to be found. Additionally, apparently nobody sells such a product - I have searched from ACE to Home Depot to Lowes to Amazon, and no such product meets the description of what I am looking for. I don't even know the exact wording for what it is - I'm guessing "14 inch power fan weather cap" but am not sure. The existing ventilation "device" is mounted inside the roof and the weather cap was mounted on a metal "netting" like thing and held down with a bracket around that netting.

I have come to the conclusion that the only solution may be to just rip out the whole thing and replace it with a turbine ventilator. The only real problem I have is I do not know if this is the best idea - as if I recall right when I turn the whole house fan on this power ventilator turns on as well. I do not know if installing a turbine ventilator fan will mess up the flow of air in the attic or not - I have read numerous places stating that getting attic ventilation wrong can cause mold during the winter.

Does anyone have advice on how to go forward? I have no idea how to find the part I need without replacing the whole unit right now. And I don't really want to leave a plastic tub covering the hole forever!

Last edited by f00dl3; 04-18-2014 at 12:56 PM.
f00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

I'd remove it patch the roof and install a ridge vent instead.
That vent looks like it was mounted to low to work anyway.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'd remove it patch the roof and install a ridge vent instead.
That vent looks like it was mounted to low to work anyway.
The vent is actually mounted in the dead center of the roof about 1 foot from the peak. It's not too low. It looks lower because I was being lazy and just snapping the photo from the ladder.

I'm not sure it's worth dumping a ton of money and time into putting a ridge vent up. I don't think it has any major issues - in the 2 years I have lived in the house there have been no attic mold issues I am aware of, and the house has been standing since 1966.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

To each there own I guess.
A ridge vent will vent the whole roof not just a circle, no noise, no mantaince, no power used.
Windows on Wash (04-19-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

This might help
http://www.broan.com/products/filter...5-525681be660e

You might be able to order the cap if it's the right size for your unit.

The vent isn't for mold. Proper venting helps the life of the roof. Something to consider when it comes time to install a roof.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

The motor in this one will ultimately go out, buy a new one and use the cap, save the motor for when this one burns out.
joecaption (04-18-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Vented ridge with baffles are generally the best type of attic exhaust ventilation you can have on a sloped residential roof, provided you have proper intake and ridge length long enough. And of course, there's proper installation.

That aside, you can install different types of attic exhaust ventilation that does not require household power. There are even solar powered options if you wish. You can run multiple pot vents in 50 square inch to over 90 square inch. You can run gable vents at the ends of the gables by the rake edges or multiple Whirly Birds. There are a number of choices and options so don't feel like you're stuck to what was on there before.

By the way, the installation on that looks absolutely shoddy. The straps that hold that in place are not meant for holding up something that oscillates and vibrations can cause fasteners to move over a period of time. One of the straps is touching the power wire without any grommet or rubber boot to protect the wire from the metal strap, which can cause problems in the future. If I were to do an inspection on your home that part by itself would fail. Proper installation of powered exhaust venatilation requires wood bracing with structural fasteners and a protected power line.
RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

I purchased a new power ventilator fan to replace that one. Did look at the solar options but I am concerned during the winter snow will accumulate on it and it will be pretty much pointless. We do get snow here in Kansas City I was going to install it myself, but peeling back the glued shingles proved to be a give-up point. Going to have to have a roofing company install it as Lowes doesn't install them. Just hope tonight's rain doesn't leak into the attic too bad. Got the plastic tub over it once again.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00dl3 View Post
I purchased a new power ventilator fan to replace that one. Did look at the solar options but I am concerned during the winter snow will accumulate on it and it will be pretty much pointless. We do get snow here in Kansas City I was going to install it myself, but peeling back the glued shingles proved to be a give-up point. Going to have to have a roofing company install it as Lowes doesn't install them. Just hope tonight's rain doesn't leak into the attic too bad. Got the plastic tub over it once again.
Good luck to you. Peeling back shingles that have mastic on them is a pain in the arse and messy. And certain manufacturers of shingles have very strong adhesive for the tabs. Hope it works out for you!

RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote