Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NegIQ

Greetings! My first post....
I live in a trailer on a lake in East Texas. Extreme humidity and occasional high winds. I would like to install scissors trusses over the existing shingle roof
and put a metal roof on. My question concerns insulation...I would like to insulate fairly heavily..can I just lay fiberglass on the shingle roof or should it be between the scissors trusses, touching the metal? Also, would a vapor barrier help and where should it be installed? The trusses will not be touching the shingles except over the walls. I do not trust the old roof's ability to support any more load. Allow me to thank you, in advance, for any help you can give me in this matter.....

NegIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

NegIQ

I have done this many times before, mostley in central Texas. Post a pic of your project. I usally support the new roof about 4 inchs above old roof, close in the eves, add insulation, cover and vent. All done looks great helps engery cost go down. Goodluck

texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

NegIQ

Thank you, texas 115115 for the kind response to my
first post...it is a comfort to know my ideas have been done successfully before...In your experiences with this procedure, do you simply place fiberglass insulation directly on the shingles, or elsewhere?? Also, I am concerned with condensation.. do you recommend a vapor barrier, and where would you place it??
I particularly like the Victorian peaked roof, so am planning a 10/12 top chord, with a 4/12 or so bottom chord,(enough to clear the current roof, a 3/12 pitch). This should make for a strong enough
truss. Thanks, again, for the help........
NegIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

NegIQ

Insulation down on shingle is fine, as long as you balance your intake vents at your eves with your exaust vents. No vapor barrior needed. It will be a closed roof just like any other, except for the vents. Goodluck
texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote