Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

NEED URGENT ADVICE: roof sheeting question

I am replacing the gutters, soffit and facia on my house and i noticed a few things.

1. the decking over hangs the front edge of the facia by one inch all the way around the roof. is this correct? I thought it was supposed to be even with the front edge.
2. There is no drip edge. I know this should be there.
3. Shingles over hang the sheeting by almost an inch and a half. What is the industry standard?

So in total the sheeting and shingles hang almost two and a half inches into the gutter. I took a few shingles off going up the roof in a few spots and the first 4 inches of the sheeting is rotted and delaminated.

Can i remove the first 3-4 rows of shingles, replace the first 18-24 inches of the bottom roof sheeting, refelt and add drip egde and replace the shingles with less over hang. I assume i can as long i use decking clips between the rafters so the sheeting doesnt sag.

Does this make sense and is it doable and safe. If you need more details please let me know.

I am in nashville tn by the way. Roof is a hip with 5/12 slope. I am trying to get this finished this weeked before the rain comes on monday night and i have to have at least the facia back on for the gutter company on monday.

Any advice will be very helpful.

Thanks
Brad

diybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

I don't like to see the sheathing overhanging the fascia if there are gutters involved. The edge will inevitably rot. I'd trim the sheathing back and install drip edge. I like to overhang the shingles past the drip edge at least a half inch.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Did you ever do these repairs? How did you fix it? any pictures? I have fascia and gutter/drip edge job in my future.
mjzraz is offline   Reply With Quote