DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need some help with roof - NO clue what to do, or how.. :(

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim F 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Ok, first off, let me start out by saying, I'm a first time home buyer. I have NO experience in doing any home improvement stuff. But me and my dad are pretty handy guys, so I'd imagine that if I set my mind to doing it, it can be done, assuming we are taught how.

So, with that said, I've got a problem with my carport roof, and my laundry room roof, which are both seperate add-ons from the main roof. Apparently before I bought the house, someone added a carport, which has a completely seperate roof, and a laundry room/utility room which also has a seperate roof, but looks kind of attached to the main roof.. Kinda hard to explain..

Anyway, I've got some major leakage going on. The laundry room roof is rotting big time. The area of the leakage/dry rot of the wood is probably about 7-8 ft. long X 6 ft. long. So that whole roof probably needs to be replaced. The carport roof leak is maybe 4 ft. X 4ft. so its not that big. It looks like someone may have tried to patch the carport roof cause there is some tar that was layed down on top of the leak.

Oh, and by the way, my roof has rock/gravel on top.

Anyway, if anyone could help guide me through this process, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I need to get it done as soon as possible, because I'm beginning to see some mold form.

I'll get some pictures for you guys hopefully today so that you can get an idea of what I'm working with here.

Thanks everyone!
Adrian

See less See more
#2 ·
Get those pictures up, and we will get to it. Just remember that roofing is dangerous labor intensive work. All I can do is guide you with technique and know how. All safety and application and any other responsibilities are yours. I accept no responsibility for anything related to your project. If you agree to this, then I would be happy to help.

#3 ·
Get those pictures up, and we will get to it. Just remember that roofing is dangerous labor intensive work. All I can do is guide you with technique and know how. All safety and application and any other responsibilities are yours. I accept no responsibility for anything related to your project. If you agree to this, then I would be happy to help.
I absolutely agree to it!! :)

I'll get the pictures up in a few minutes. Just got home from work.

Thanks so much man.

#4 ·
Ok, here are some pictures. I'm thinking I may just have to completely tear down the whole utility/laundry room.. but theres just so much electrical work there, I'd have no idea where to start. My breaker is in there, sprinkler system, everything. GRRR.. Why do people have to do a half ass job!

Ok, first two pictures are of the carport, and the rest of the pictures are of the laundry/utility room.

And here is the laundry room/utility room.

#5 ·
Looks like an easy fix.Cut out rotten boards on roof and replace with the same.I would also recommend adding plywood over it(make sure you hit rafters(chalk lines).Check all roof supports
(joists.etc) for rot as well.If rot is detected,I would sister a board onto it,with glue and lots of screws.It doesn't look that bad to me,or maybe I'm just used to seeing worse,lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.