Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

In Need Of Roofing Contractor in Indianapolis

After the recent series of storms here in Indianapolis, my entire roof needs to be replaced. If it were a simple re-shingling of the house, I would do it on my own, but this size of a job seems daunting to me. Angie's List is huge here in Indianapolis, so I've been accustomed to checking there for tips on contractors. I am looking at their Indianapolis roofing contractors section, but I was hoping someone on the board might be able to point me in the right direction.

Also, if you have any ideas what I should expect on an estimate, that would be super helpful as well. I have a 2 floor, 1800 sq ft home with a chimney that also needs to be re-flashed.

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

ImSoDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

If it's storm damage, you won't need an estimate. Find a local contractor that has been in business awhile. Give the contractor your paperwork so they know what to replace and not to replace. You are responsible for your deductible and/or any upgrades you may choose.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I disagree. DO NOT give your paper work, not until you've gotten an estimate first. Ask the legitimate licensed and certified roofing contractor what he thinks needs to be done to repair the damage. Ask what it costs to fix. Get it in writing. Then feel free to share insurance paper work.

The problem with showing your paper work first is like playing poker with your cards face up. There are lots of unscrupulous contractors out there that will do what the insurance company is offering, weather it be right or wrong, and it's usually wrong.

Here are some things storm chasers may skip... ventilation upgrades. Many many people don't understand ventilation. Insurance will almost always just apy for replacement, homes usually don't have adquate ventilation to meet code, therefore the insurance should pay. Many storm chasers will use the most god awful cheapest materials on the market. Most insurance companies won't pay to repalce flashings though flashings are an essential part of the roof system.

I tell my customers be prepared to come out of pocket because insurance pays for minimum code and my roofs exceed minimum code. here are some upgrades you can expect from a legitimate roofing contractor. ice shield at the problem areas including valleys and pre-flashings at chimneys, skylights, pipes and where the roofs meet the walls. basically any areas to be flashed with metal IMO should be preflashed with ice shield. It's cheap insurance. felt upgrades, minimum code is 15# felt, I install 303 felt and fiberglass felt. Both will cost double what 15# felt costs. Flashings, I won't replace a roof if I am not replacing the flashings. LOTS of roofers have no problem reusing flashing. Is the flashing good now? maybe, will it be good in 7 years? Probably not? Will it cost more or less now than it will in 7 years to replace the flashings? it'll cost less now to replace the flashings and you will have years and years of trouble free roof. What about ventilation, I mentionmed earlier? Are your kitchen and bath vents in order? What about intake, and exhaust? This all needs to be corrected.

The insurance company won't pay for upgrades, if you plan to hire a roofer who cares, plan to pay out of pocket above and beyond what the insurance company is offering you for the roof. Some roofers can get the insurance company to pay additional, but still they are not responsible to pay above minimum code unless it is pre-existing, which usually is not the case. And if it is the case it must be proved.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
MJW

I agree Grumpy, but people wonder why prices are so different from insurance prices. Most good roofers will include all the essentials like valleys, flashings, new vents, adequate ventilation, roof edge, etc, etc......but insurance doesn't always pay to replace those items. So, the customer is standing with your high estimate and a low estimate from the insurance coverage, and wonder what is going on.

I agree also, most stormers will come in and replace only what they paid for and leave the customer with (lack of better words) a half done hacked up job. We still need to know what the insurance company is bidding, so we can be sure to at least cover what they are paying for. Such things like roof edge that is only a year or so old, doesn't necessarily have to be replaced if not damaged. Some insurance covers it, some don't. That will place a discrepancy in the price rather substantially. Especially in today's economy.

One thing to keep in mind (as grumpy has described)....buying a "roof" is not like buying an apple. There are many things involved in a roofing system when you want quality work and materials. Insurance only pays to remove and replace, not to upgrade.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Why should the roofer absorb the cost of the essential upgrades if insurance isn't willing to pay? It's not the roofers job to pay for the roof. it's the roofers job to install the roof.

I personally don't care what an insurance comapny is willing to pay for or not. I look at a job "What would I do if this were my roof?" And that's how I quote each and every job. To me what the insurance company is and isn't willing to pay for is absolutely meaningless. What is and is not necessary for the roof is all that matters.

If I introduce my proposal and then they show me the insurance estimate. I think that is fair for the customer. ONLY because of the 99% that will dow aht ever the insurance company is offering to spite what is really necessary. I can revise my proposal up or down to fit the customer's budget, but my introduyctory offer is what I find to be the balance of value and quality. MJW, with a company like yours or mine, it wouldn't hurt to show the estimate. However with 99%, LOOK OUT.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
MJW (08-18-2011)