Need To Replace Some Shakes - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

need to replace some shakes

I haven't asked a question of my own on this site for months, so I'm due...

I have a 12 or 13 year old cedar shake roof, approx 5/12 pitch, 1x skip sheathing. The bottom course (a double course) has a number of shakes that have pretty soft ends due to moisture. I have a lot of moss, and it holds the moisture in...I should clean the gutters more regularly as well. A few dozen shakes definately need to be replaced here and there, and most of the bottom double course needs to go. I'm trying to buy 3 or 4 more years before replacing the roof, the rest of which is in pretty good shape, because frankly I can't afford to have a new roof put on right now or put one on myself.

I'm very handy, but my roofing talents are limited to asphalt shingles...Never done any shakes. Time to learn. I figure I'll do a couple bundles at a time as my free time allows.

Can someone describe the process involved in replacing the bottom double course of shakes and felt? How do I do it without totally ripping the heck out of the felt that is there now, and how do I interlace new felt to avoid leaks? Where should I nail the shakes, since I'll probably only be able to nail in the exposed part? What is used to remove the old nails? Any good online links, or videos or books I should pick up?

Thank you!

For the record, I HATE CEDAR SHAKE ROOFS.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

Your cedar shake roof should last upwards of fifty years if you maintain it properly.

A shingle ripper is the tool for this job.

http://www.tools-plus.com/dasco-pro-...tm_term=DAS640

The process is a lot to type.

The Roofing God has more patience than I.

Advertisement

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #3

Thanks Aaron B. The tool is a start!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

Termite; If you dont understand how that ripper works let me know. I will try to make it as clear as mud for ya, sadly u r too far away or you could borrow mine :}
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Slide the flat slate ripper/nail ripper bar under the cedar and move sideways until it catches onto the fasteners and then use a hammer and strile the 90* bend portion of the ripper with a downward thrust until the fastener either shears off or pulls out.

For the replacement, after you have removed the required wicking cedar shakes, you will need to slide them in place, ensuring that the side seams are offset by a minimum of about 2" from the next successive course of shakes, so they do not line up.

The newly installed cedar may need to be face nailed with 6 penny nails or the proper size for the thickness of the cedar.

An alternative to face nailing is to install a clip, compsed of a sheet metal. preferably copper, where enough hangs down past the bottom butt end of the shake. Slide the shake in place. Bend the clip up and over to latch on to the bottom butt end.

These clips can be hand made with tin snips, cutting about a 1" to 1 1/2" width by about 6" in length each. Try one for fitted size and adjust from there.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #6

Cool idea about the sheet metal Ed. Thanks! I appreciate the guidance.

I guess my biggest concern is the damage that will occur to the felt paper??? Do I just replace the shake itself without somehow fixing the felt?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #7

I may get in trouble for this interpretation, but a FEW face nails in cedar does not compromise the water-tight integrity, due to the cedar swelling when it gets wet.

I have been in many attics and looked up at the cedar shingles on a skip sheathed deck and you could see daylight in many places, yet they never leaked in those locations.

The felt paper for Cedar Shakes is primarily for a straight guiding line to install the next course of cedar, by using the 18" shake liner felt.

I would not be concerned with any minuscule damage that would occur to the felt, since it is supposed to be under 2 courses anyways and never get any direct rain fall onto it.

Ed
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
Commercial Roofing

Remember the days when you woulda got laughed at for using felt on a shake roof?
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #9

I always used 18" shakeliner felt for cedar Shakes.

I only used felt paper one time on cedar shingles though, but that was a spec that I wrote to eliminate the other competition for the entire grounds and golf course club house at Cantigny Park and Golf Course in Winfield.

Ed
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #10

Cool, thank you Ed.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
old timer

Rewards Points: 75

A tip for installing that last row of shakes.

Leave that last course about a half inch short of the one above. Drive your nails in just below the upper course at a 45 degree ish angle. Then tap the shake up to hide the nail.

Advertisement

dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote