Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |

Need recommendation for roofing sealant

I'm installing a solar attic fan finally, and I need a good sealant to use under/around the flashing.

It's a 28lb fan with a 28x28" footprint. The flashing is 4" wide all the way around.

Securing it with self-tapping screw per their instructions.

Here is a link to the unit.

http://www.atticbreeze.net/AB_litera...s/TDS-1003.pdf

thanks everyone.

Jocamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #2

My own personal opinion.
Total waste of time and money.
Add a ridge vent instead.
A ridge vent works 24/7 no power needed, vents the whole attic not just a circle.
No hot air trapped in the rafter bays.
Looks a whole lot better then a blob sitting on the roof.
To answer your question a roof vent properly installed does not even need a sealant.

gmaint (06-24-2014), woodworkbykirk (06-23-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

Ventilation that runs without waiting for pressure to build (I.e, heat) and requires no wiring? Who'd want that, right? I know! I really wanted it to hook a giant whoopie cushion to it and cause a conspiracy theory in my neighborhood.

The HOA turned down my proposal to cover my house with mirrors. Something about incinerating birds and blinding neighbors.

On a side note the unicorn feed I purchased on eBay has been working too--to attract them into my garden. Their poop has amazing nutrient content for vegetables.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The sealant type will depend on what roofing material you are going through. Unless you use unicorn poop. That Sh.... stuff sticks to anything..... Oh and ridge vents don't wait for pressure to build and don't require any wiring either, but then they can't be used on every roof.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #5

OSI quad has been my choice for being easy to find, never drying out and compatible with most of the building materials.
You don't need it under the fan flashing. Over the flashing, 6" strip of peel and stick shield first over the tar paper. On sides, caulk on the roofing where it lays on flashing for possible side wash.
Test the fan before the job begins.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

You are talking about a flat roof, correct? Use a compatible sealant for the specific material the roof was done with.

A sloped shingle roof does NOT get any sealant. The vent gets shingled into the roof.

http://www.albertsroofing.com/Power%20Vent%20Installation.htm
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Fairview (07-02-2014), roofermann (06-25-2014), Windows on Wash (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #7

It's an 8/12 roof.

Here is the documentation I have to work with.

http://www.atticbreeze.net/AB_litera...tion_Guide.pdf
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Just follow my instructions and you'll be fine. No sealant on an 8/12, just like the one I documented.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Fairview (07-02-2014), roofermann (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

BTW, those guys are fan makers, not roofers. A roofer reads the instructions looking for any unknown pitfalls, then 'roofs' the fan in normally avoiding any pitfalls pointed out by the instructions, such as a seam turned the wrong way, or some other silly thing done by the fan makers that are contrary to 'standard roof practice'.

For instance;

Quote:

Rafters or
framing members located under the vent hole will not effect the
performance of your solar attic fan.
A good roofer avoids rafters instead of haphazardly installing things in a roof.

Last edited by tinner666; 06-24-2014 at 09:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
roofermann (06-25-2014), Windows on Wash (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #10

Ok I'll take a look when I get started. Thanks
Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

No update?
TIme for me to admit I can be wrong. Maybe it doesn't have to be centered? Here's one I worked on today.
Please look closely at the last picture, and the water trail, and the debris trail it left behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-3-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-4-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-5-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Pro Slate Roofer

I open them up an inch or so on the sides.
I'm too ashamed to show how much 'tar line' I left showing on the other side trying to work in some headlap, but here's a pic of what I was working with. 1" headlaps, wandering courses, exposed nails.(I exposed two of mine by nailing correctly!EEK!) Glad owner is replacing the roof in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-7-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-10-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Pro Slate Roofer

Here's the turbine vent.
A roofer looks at the evidence and sees the results of nice, tight cuts. Just follow the water and debris trails and you can see why I gets calls for this all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-11-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-13-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-14-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-15-.jpg  
Old 07-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Pro Slate Roofer

Here's the replacement base where you can see how I did it. (BTW, I did caulk all the nails holes from the existing shingles.)
Oh, this one was off center for some reason too. WTH???

I leave a water channel so debris is less likely to accumalate and mis-direct the water. I hope this clears up some questions for you.

Before you ask, No, I've never had to repair one done the way i'm showing it. Not one call. I learned this by observing the worn out roofs we tore off and replaced, and paying attention to what did and didn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-18-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-19-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-21-.jpg   Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-22-.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Fairview (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
Pro Slate Roofer

Oh, in case the first two pix weren't clear, here's a pic of the deck after I remover the PV. Only about 1/3 of the hole was under the fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Need recommendation for roofing sealant-improper-vent-installation-results-6-.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (07-01-2014)