Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need opinions

I've got a relative with an existing roughly 35 year old asphalt BUR that has splits along the eave extending about 3 inches back from the gravel stop. There is a 2 foot overhang which is what leaks. Normally it wouldn't be a huge deal but its leaking through the soffit which makes the overhang useless. The house is 50+ years old so the windows were never flashed/no throughwall flashing, etc. Therefore now the whole side of the house leaks because the roof is now allowing water to run down the wall.

Heres where it gets interesting. It was a one story with a steep slope roof. The original owner wanted a second story so the made the back side of the house into a 1/5"/ft slope which added an extra 8 feet in height creating a second story. The problem is 1.5"/ft is a little much for a gravel coated asphalt BUR so all the gravel has washed down towards the gutter. Its a little shallow for just shingles so what I'm thinking now is either a thermoplastic single ply, 3 ply modified with cold adhesive or shingles with a full layer of self adhering membrane.

Ideally I would pick a 60mil pvc with dens deck cover board, full tapered system, etc. But as everyone is, the home owners are looking for the cheapest route possible with a long life. I've also run into a problem of finding a qualified contractor, everyone I call up has kids crying in the background and sounds more like a daycare than a roofing company. Its only 6 or 7 squares so I'm thinking tearoff and reroofing can be done in a day by a crew of 5 or 6. I'm kinda leaning towards the shingles, just because I dont want an epdm roof and I dont think any of these local clowns have a hot air welder much less know how to use one.

What would you do?

ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Need opinions

Kids crying in the back ground only means they operate out of their home,
thus less over head to pass on to their customers,
thus cheaper for you.

Installing shingles on a 1.5/12 slope is a bad idea, it's simply not going to last/do the job.

Heat welded laps are not the only option you have for single ply systems.
BUR coated rather than covered with rock, Metal, Totally adhered EPDM, Torch down, etc., all will work if properly installed.
It's better to chose your roofing contractor first,
than together with him/her you can decide which system to install.

6 or 7 squares,
one day's work, probably,
that will depend on rather or not they have to deal with deck, facial board, truss, gutter repair/replacement.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Kids crying in the back ground only means they operate out of their home,
thus less over head to pass on to their customers,
thus cheaper for you.

Installing shingles on a 1.5/12 slope is a bad idea, it's simply not going to last/do the job.

Heat welded laps are not the only option you have for single ply systems.
BUR coated rather than covered with rock, Metal, Totally adhered EPDM, Torch down, etc., all will work if properly installed.
It's better to chose your roofing contractor first,
than together with him/her you can decide which system to install.

6 or 7 squares,
one day's work, probably,
that will depend on rather or not they have to deal with deck, facial board, truss, gutter repair/replacement.
IMO not even having a seperate line for your business is very unprofessional. Most people running a business out of their homes are just starting it. Its a craps shoot, you may get a guy with 25 years experience who decided to start his own business or a guy with 2 years experience that wants to make a quick buck. I completely disagree, its always better to choose your system first, then find a qualified contractor. I don't want a system the contractor is pushing because its the only one he can do. Metal is not what the homeowner wants, EPDM is out of the question, I want a welded lap. I dont like coatings because they are a maintenence item and spuf roof is also out. I doubt highly they have the qualifications to apply a torch down system....So the only options in my opinion are a thermoplastic system fully adhered, shingles with a full self adhering membrane underlayment or a 3 ply cold adhesive system. Out of those which would you choose? The pitch is actually almost 2/12, I was guestimating before.
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Residential Roofer

Need opinions

All systems work if they are properly installed.
I have installed each of the systems you mentioned and on a 2/12 slope section of that size any of the systems you mentioned will work.
The shingles will have the least life span,
the other two will be close to the same, to close to call in my opinion.

Edited to add:
There is no such thing as a maintenance free roofing system,
even manufacturers who offer 'so called' life time systems include the need for routine maintenance in their specifications for the system.

Last edited by Slyfox; 12-28-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Need opinions

You sure wouldn't like me! My shop is 5 miles away, but it's only a warehouse. The phone is only for alarms. Even though I've only been in business for 20+ years. I don't take offense.n You're looking for a company owner type that's a businessman first, roofer 2nd. or 3rd.

Sly is right on.
You missed the 3ply self adhered modified. Perfect for that roof. 2 layers base, 1 cap sheet.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Need opinions

Epdm would be a great roof but if your dead set against the number 1 roofing system out there then id go with the modified.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:30 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Need opinions

everyone I call up has kids crying in the background and sounds more like a daycare than a roofing company.-ncgrogan

this has nothing to do with roofing knowledge,and ability---I have a home office with a separate line,and yes sometimes a kid comes down,but that`s ok with me-that`s why I`ve spent decades perfecting my skills at installation,and have a spotless record--better to make educated decisions after you talk to the roofer---Certainteed Flintlastic SA 3 ply system,Certainteed Flintlastic torchdown with Certainteed "black diamond waterproof base sheet,Sarnafil,IB ROOF SYSTEMS

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornaRoofer View Post
Epdm would be a great roof but if your dead set against the number 1 roofing system out there then id go with the modified.
You need to broaden your horizons

As far as this roof goes, I'm with Frank and Sly. Flintlastic SA 3-ply would be ideal. although it can be done, I don't ever recommend shingles on anything that low. BTW, we have 4ply gravel roofs on resi's like that all over the place here. Actually was an excellent system.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote