Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)

We added a garage onto our split-foyer home when we first moved it on site. It was a pre-built house, moved on site with garage added onto it. Both house and garage are a 4-12 pitch, and whenever rains or snow melts, it leaks onto the old roof and into my garage, molded sheetrock on ceiling, and all over the floor. Put two totes down last night to catch water and had over 2 inches on both totes this morning after getting 1/2 rain overnight

Contractor who built the house said first last year its because I didn't have any gutters on that side and the water comes down so hard it was going through the siding. So i put a new 4" gutter with downspout there, caulked everything up, and still leaks. Now contractor says that gutter cant handle the water and fills back up and leaks into the roof that way.

I also spoke to the association for our development and they said they have had problem wit this contractor not installing flashing on the previous 7 houses and they all had the same problem. Contractor says that's not the issue here, but I'm not sure what to think Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0087.jpg   Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0102.jpg  

jonesb183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
JOATMON

Can't tell from those pics.

Chances are the only way to know is to get on the roof and start lifting shingles. I'm not the roof expert here....but I would be willing to bet that there is no valley flashing and/or he did not construct the valley correctly.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-20-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Can't tell from those pics.

Chances are the only way to know is to get on the roof and start lifting shingles. I'm not the roof expert here....but I would be willing to bet that there is no valley flashing and/or he did not construct the valley correctly.
I was up top last year. Got mad and black-jacked the heck out of the valley after it ruined my garage ceiling. Far as i could tell, when pulling back shingles to black-jack, it was just shingle on shingle, no flashing or barrier as far as i could tell.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
registered

Lack of grace ice and water shield in the area.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Lack of grace ice and water shield in the area.

Ahhh ice/water shield...the magic bullet for sub-par roofing.

...or, more than likely, the valley was not properly tied into the house. Ice/water has nothing to do with it.

I highly doubt that gutter, or lack thereof, has any bearing on your leak. Looks like you need someone other than your contractor to tear up that area and roof it properly. And your blackjack solution likely only made the problem worse.

Can you take some pictures on the roof?

Last edited by OldNBroken; 05-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
747 (05-20-2013), kwikfishron (05-20-2013), tinner666 (05-22-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
DIY staff

A picture from further back would help---that mixed pitch/gutter connection looks like a potential problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #7

Here are a few more pictures. Got another 3 inches in my big blue tote from rain today. Let me know what you guys think.

Oh, and by the way, the new tarring and caulking job, not done by me. this was there "fix" last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0121.jpg   Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0111.jpg   Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0113.jpg   Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0112.jpg   Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0117.jpg  

Need opinion on roof leak (new garage addition)-103_0120.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
JOATMON

I might be wrong....but....when the valley is done that way, water flowing down the one side can flow up under the shingles on the other side.

Of course, if the underlayment (tar paper) is done right, water should not be getting through.

But, in your case water is getting through so one could only assume that the valley is not done right.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Mod

What a mess. Hire a real roofer to tear it apart and do it again. No bid deal for an experienced roofer to get it right.

Even if you had NO gutters on the house the roof still shouldn't leak.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-20-2013 at 04:10 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post

Ahhh ice/water shield...the magic bullet for sub-par roofing.

...or, more than likely, the valley was not properly tied into the house. Ice/water has nothing to do with it.

I highly doubt that gutter, or lack thereof, has any bearing on your leak. Looks like you need someone other than your contractor to tear up that area and roof it properly. And your blackjack solution likely only made the problem worse.

Can you take some pictures on the roof?
I should have said ice and water plus proper flashing.

After seeing the additonal pics the bottomline is this. HALF A-- JOB.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I should have said ice and water plus proper flashing.

After seeing the additonal pics the bottomline is this. HALF ASS JOB.
That's better. Was hoping you weren't one of those guys that thinks ice/water cures bad roofing.

As said before, that gutter has absolutely no bearing on your problem. Someone did not tie that in properly and all that blackjack is probably just making the situation worse. Did the leak mayhaps get worse after that "fix"?

Call another roofer in that knows what they are doing and have them tear all that up and do it properly. There is no other way to fix it.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

Everyone take a look at that second picture.
Anyone see any over hang ni that picture or any others for that matter?
Anyone see any drip edge?Looks like they only did it in one place.
Check out those ridge caps. They install the one at a right angle over instead of under the main caps.
Anyone here run there shingles so there's a big enough gap for a bird to move into where it meets a fashia?
Anyone else use galvinized step flashing. Not me.
Anyone just lay the step flashing up agant the siding like that instead of under it? Not me.
Look close at picture number three, see anything wrong on the bottom left in the valley? Looks like a row shingles are upside down and the keys letting water get in under the other shingle.
Anyone else run there ridge vents all the way to where two valleys meet? Not me.

Last edited by joecaption; 05-20-2013 at 05:03 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
Doing This Way Too Long

Does look like there is drip-edge but the shingles are, at best, flush with it. Water can easily wick under that with that slope. Love the mix of asphalt and silicon. Why people think caulking the keyways ever stops leaking is always a mystery. What a mess.

Can't really see the butts of the shingles to tell how far they ran them up the other side of the valley. Past experience with issues like this is they didn't run them far enough up the other side of the valley. I've actually seen it where the butts are right in the valley or they just ran up a few inches under the other side.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 05-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #14

I just got off the roof again (still raining and leaking) and wanted to check out the valleys more. The part of the original roof was never messed with so the new roof on the garage just lays over the existing shingles. they're not butted together. I didn't see any type of metal flashing when i lifted some shingles. (probably bad idea when its raining) so I think this is the major issue. Am I wrong? The original roof still having shingles on it, probablythe only reason why I don't have water coming in my bedroom ceiling. This was done 2 1/2 years ago and have had this issue since it was built. is there any course of action i could take against the original roofer for costs?

here some more pics to see how they had to tie the roof in.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Framing Contractor

I will go out on a limb here. I bet that the garage shingles are actually right on top of the existing house shingles. The framing is atrocious also, so imagine how well the roofing is constructed.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote