Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

In need of a little help on roofing project

Ok I am looking to see if anyone out there could help me out..I live in the Tampa Florida area and I am having my roof redone. I was told you get a credit on your home owners insurance if you use peel and stick (like ice and water shield) but does that have to be done on the whole roof or just in certain areas like valleys, edges, ect..And if soo...Would that take the place of any other underlay or would something else need to go on there as well...Thanks for anyhow who takes time in trying to help

Roofing Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

Ice and water is typically used in selected areas such as valleys, eaves, roof to wall connections, etc.

Putting it over a poorly done roof does not make for a good roof.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #3

Call your insurance agent and ask...
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Ok I will try and do that...However do you know if the i&wc is used in conjunction with felt underlay or does it replace it ??
Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 34

Storm and ice is layed down and the tar paper can just be run right over it.
That's a new one on me I've never heard of an insurance company giving anyone a break just for storm and Ice shield.
I could see in your area if the whole roof was done with it so if a hurricane blew the shingles off there would still be a protective barrirer on the roof, but not just the valleys like it's normaly done.
Up north it's used mainly on the lower edges of the roof to prevent ice dam damage.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Yea on there website(citizens) it says... "Premium credits for wind mitigation construction features"..One being...Secondary Water Resistance

Material applied to the roof covering to prevent water from intruding into the structure.

Does not include roofing felt or similar paper-based products.

Last edited by Roofing Project; 03-11-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Misspell
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Call and verify--but it sounds like you must cover the entire roof sheeting to qualify---makes sense-
Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

As it was already mentioned call your agent in the morning.Policy terminolgy can be interperted in many ways by many people.Only your insurer can give you solid direction.

I would also discuss ventilation with your contractor.Covering the entire roof with moisture guard and improper ventilation is a recipe for future problems with ventilation or lack of ventilation related damage to the interior attic space,insulation and decking etc.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #9

Ok thank you everyone..and just to make sure because I doubt the insurance will know anything about this but does that replace the felt?? So would it just be the i&ws and then the shingles??
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

I would for sure make felt a part of your roof system.Some people just use moisture guard and apply it directly to the deck then installing the shingles over the MG.

Bad thing about that is the next time you need a roof the shingles will be impossible to remove because they will be sealed directly to the MG and decking.You would almost have to remove every sheet of plywood from your roof deck.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Roofing Contractor

Here is my take on W&I and felt.

Putting full ice and water shield on a roof system is good for water proofing and on pitches under 4/12 it's recommended or two layers of 15# felt, two options.

If you go full W&I you want to make sure you have good venting ie, soffit vents and ridge/turtle vents.

The shingles will more than likely stick to the W&I and bond perminetely. You can try to scrape off the top portion of the shingle but this will take a long time. In some cases even this is not possible. If you want a perfect roof deck you will have to remove one or two rows of decking, depending on how many rows of W&I were installed. Keep in mind more than likely the decking will be in great shape overall just materials stuck to it.

I personaly feel putting felt over the W&I is not a great idea and the reason is simple. The felt will stick to the W&I just like the shingles do. When you tear off the shingles the felt will remain perminetely stuck to the W&I and most brands of W&I will not warrant their product applied over felt paper.

My brand of choice is Certainteed and at the counsil meetings we've talked at length about what to do with the shingles stuck to the W&I. We were told it's acceptable to remove all but the top portion of the shingle (so it's no more than 1 layer) and sweep all lose granuals and W&I over. The next question we couldn't get an answer for is how many layers of this is acceptable!

I roofed my rental back in 06 and put W&I on the whole roof. We redid the roof last Summer (hail) and yes all the shingles on the house roof were stuck to the W&I. On the detached unheated garage roof the shingles came right off the W&I.

Do you send an invoice and or pictures to prove to your insurance carrier your whole roof has W&I???
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

Dougger that is one of the consequences the ice/water fanatics never thought about. Some of us have been commenting about it for years. It's not until they have to start tearing roofs off that they finally say "oh crap"
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Exterior Construction

The way it can get heat welded down, it is almost like built up in terms of trying to tear it up.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #14

Thanks again to everyone...The insurance company did say the whole roof needs to be done in ice n water to qualify for credit..
Old 03-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofing Project View Post
Thanks again to everyone...The insurance company did say the whole roof needs to be done in ice n water to qualify for credit..
Government at work to put it mildly.

I wonder if they would offer you any sort of discount/credit for installing metal in lieu of asphalt.

Tags
felt, peel and stick, reroof, shingle, underlay