Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

need labor only

Hello,
I live in Kansas city,MO area and am in need of a new roof. I've asked for 2 bids and they are both around $7,000. I checked the materials that was needed and I can get them all from Lowe's for about $2,300. How hard is it to find a person that'll put the roof on when the materials are provided by the customer? How much an hour do they normally chanrge? I can't afford $7K but I can buy the materials so I just want to know how much more do I need if I can find somebody to agree on the labor only.
Thanks,

Korkmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

need labor only

Why would a roofer give you a break because you bought the materials? Many times the roofers can get them cheaper than you can. A legitimate roofer will probably want no part of this job. Where is the benefit for him? You will want to check all licenses, insurance, workers compensation, bonds, etc if you do find someone to work this way. Good luck.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

need labor only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkmaz View Post
Hello,
I live in Kansas city,MO area and am in need of a new roof. I've asked for 2 bids and they are both around $7,000. I checked the materials that was needed and I can get them all from Lowe's for about $2,300. How hard is it to find a person that'll put the roof on when the materials are provided by the customer? How much an hour do they normally chanrge? I can't afford $7K but I can buy the materials so I just want to know how much more do I need if I can find somebody to agree on the labor only.
Thanks,

Its possible to find someone who will do it for some quick cash.The materials are a certain price BUT what you are paying for is not only a quality product but someone who can install them according to factory specifications.I would not recommend a cash deal.Even though you are paying for materials have everything in writing.I would have references and would NOT give money down.PERIOD,,,,,Pay when and ONLY when you are satisfied.Not everyone can start at the top and many fine contractors have been in that position in the beginning.BUT your emotions should stop there.You might be in a position for someone to take advantage of you and the situation.Be careful.

The manufactures give really good warranties but thats where it stops.The shingles cannot install themselves.And if the material is not installed according to manufacture specs then you warranty is void.

No certain price is the norm.It depends on layers,pitch access to the property and access for debris removal.

How many slopes are on your home? Basically how labor and technical intensive is it?

What part KCMO are you? I have family in Independence,Blue Springs and Smithville.I also know a couple contractors in KCMO and KCK.

email roofmaster417@gmail.com 1-417-425-0622 Jim

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

need labor only

I frequently do re-roofs in which the home owners are the acting contractor and I'm the sub.
Which means they are responsible for purchasing the materials and providing waste removal "dumpster" and I only supply labor.

(Many times they can get the materials from Lowes/Home Depot at 12 months same as cash deals, thus they pay the same for materials or more as I would but have 12 months to do it.)

You will save a few dollars on both items because I won't mark up the price on them, but materials and waste removal is not the higher percentage of the total cost, it's well less than half.

I still have to account for labor paid out, tools & equipment, transportation, taxes at city, state and federal level, insurance for liability and workers comp, etc., etc....
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
MJW

need labor only

Look on craigslist. Plenty of weekend warriors there. Let us know how it turns out.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
1985gt (05-04-2011), OldNBroken (05-04-2011), seeyou (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #6

need labor only

I definitely will. Thanks for the comments guys.

Korkmaz is offline   Reply With Quote