Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Share |

Need help diagnosing leak

Hello everyone, this is my first post, I'm happy there is a forum for people like this to help each other.

I am noticing a problem where there are icicles appearing in an area completely covered by my roof. Nearby there is some water leaking from my gutter, I'm not sure if they are related or not. I can see water dripping from my gutter sometimes, and it just flows straight down, so I think there might be another leak causing the icicles. What do you all think? I can take more pictures upon request.

THANKS!!!

DiyNooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

But they just crimped the end cap and did not use or used to little gutter seal in the cap.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

As I'm seeing it the two areas aren't directly related but are close cousins. Someone needs to get on both of those roof levels and remove or thaw a channel down to bare roof in the ice/snow for the water to escape. An inch wide will do it. I'm surprised you aren't seeing water dripping from the top of window frames on the interior. If water is leaking into the interior of the wall frame it may be several days before evidence is observed near the ceiling /wall junction inside the house.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #4

I don't see any kick out flashing where the gutter meets the wall. Without it, water can get behind the siding, the icicles at the bottom could be where it drips out the bottom of the siding.
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

Things I would check is whether there is any step flashing where roofing meets the, (looks like T 1-11 siding). Unless it is applied over sheathing there probably isn't. The other place is how the T 1-11 is sealed to the front siding with the metal corners. That whole area looks like possibilities for water to get in. Is that asbestos or asphalt siding, or striated cedar shakes on front?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote