Need Help With Attic Venting On Old House - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with attic venting on old house

My parents have a house that was built in the 60's. They have a gable vent on each end of the house and 2 whirlybirds on the roof. They do not have any soffit vents. The house is about 1200sqft.

On one end of the house there has been a garage built on almost covering up the gable vent on that end.

Is there anyway to make this venting any better that will help to cool their house better? There are no sofit vents.

I attached a few pics if that will help.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with attic venting on old house-img_0372.jpg   Need help with attic venting on old house-img_0373.jpg  

Advertisement

danstar25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

With that style roof there's no reason for there not to be propper soffit vents, without them it's going to be like sucking on a straw with your finger over the tip.

It also would be far better venting to use a ridge vent and get rid of the other vents.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

About 20 yrs ago they had siding installed and it was put under the eaves. How hard is it to install soffits when I would have to cut thru the siding? Or is there another way?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

It wouldn't. The soffits need to be replaced every two to three feet, or continuous if you wish, with perforated soffit panels. Then go inside the attic, pull the insulation away, so you can place the baffles in, to help with the airflow. Problem with whirly birds, they only work, when the wind is blowing.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

There is siding installed on top of the wood underneath the eaves of the house. There were no pre existing soffit vents or holes cut for them. Are u saying I would have to remove the siding under the eave then cut the holes the replace with perforated siding?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

Yes, you will have to remove all soffiting material, then cut into the wood soffting underneath, to allow for proper venting.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,270

+1

If the pitch were steeper, you could do it from the attic but that roof line is tight.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 524

These house is very similiar to mine in that its a ranch. I have continuous aluminum soffits with the little slits in them. Then on my roof i have 11 of the fast back metal louver vents. I call them fast back because there slopped on the front. Then the gable vents i had were sealed off with osb by the roofer. Cross venting is a no no these days. So definately get some soffit vents going. Get rid of the whirly birds and replace with a ridgevent or louvers.

ps. here are the vents i have on my roof 11 of them. Its the first vent on the page but different color. http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residenti...f-louvers.aspx

Advertisement

Last edited by 747; 06-24-2012 at 11:24 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote