Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need a few pointers

Coming down to the final prep on a small shop/out building I am building in my back yard. I've never done a roof before, but from the few turorials I've done it can't be that hard. Just a small building with a roof surface that I have calculated as being 282 sq ft, so I figure I will need three squares of material for felt and shingles.

I think I am going to go with 30w felt just because it is thicker. I need regular three tab shingles in a driftwood color (it has to match my house per HOA rules)

I have a couple of questions.

Is driftwood a common color?

Can shingles be purchased anywhere besides box stores for a better price maybe?

Do I need a ridge vent? If so, I have no idea how to create the opening that would be required for it, or how to do the vent itself.

Just looking for a few pointers because I want to do this entire project myself. I'm trying to learn how this stuff is done so I will have an understanding.

Are there any detailed tutorials online that you guys might recommend for someone like me?

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Need a few pointers

If the building is a unheated tool shed than roof ventilation is optional.

If you go with roof vents, stop your sheathing roughly 1 1/2" short of the ridge on each side.

Install drip edge on the eaves.

Install 30# felt all the way up leaving the gap you left in the ridge uncovered.

Install drip edge on all eaves.

Install starter strips, 3-tabs with the tabbed portion cut off and with the self sealer strip facing outward, with an 1/2 " overhang from the outer edge of the drip edge.

In stall shingles, following installation spec's written on the bundles wrapper.
The shingles should be ran up to the ridge until the self sealer strip is with in 3" of the gap you left for the ridge vent and cut the tops off so the gap is not covered.
(Use 1 1/4" nails on the drip edge, felt, starters and shingles.)

Cut ridge caps out of your left over 3-tab shingles by laying the shingle on a solid surface with the granule side down and the tabs facing a way from you and cut from the opening between the tabs "water key ways" to the top of the shingle, do so on both key ways thus making 3 caps per shingle.
Place one ridge cap 'granule side facing outward toward the overhang' on both rakes/sides of the roof, the rest will be installed over your ridge vents.

The ridge vent you purchase with have all the detail specs you need to properly install it, make sure you read those specs before you leave the place where you purchase them because you will need longer nails for it.

Better price than big box stores are local lumber yards.

Good Luck.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Lost..

Need a few pointers

My house does not have ridge vents. The only reason I was remotely interested in it was because of the cooling effect they might have. I don't know anything about this, and that is what I assume. If my soffits are vented and the air goes up through those and follows the interior of the ceiling as it goes up, shouldn't it have a place to escape - like out of ridge vent? - this is my reasoning. Excuse my ignorance if I am incorrect. If there is a difference in temperature in the inside I may do this but otherwise I will probably skip this step.

Another thing to consider is that I have gone back and incorporated a 10' wide x 8' tall door into the right side of the building and it takes up almost the entire wall. If there is ever a need for ventilation in the hot summer time, I can just open that door and have planty of airflow. Just something I thought about.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Residential Roofer

Need a few pointers

Even if the structure is not heated and including the door scenario, the ridge vent will help with cooling the room on hot days.
If it's a heated room than the ridge vent will also help with preventing ice dams and prolong the roofing shingles life span.
There are also other options such as gable vents in the wall near the top 'roof level' on both ends.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Lost..

Need a few pointers

Hmm. Yeah I didn't think about those gable vents. I imagine that wouldn't be too hard, but I think I might just go with the ridge vent. I'll look into it and see if I can find a instructional video on it on you tube - or even a video on roofing in general. Thank you for your detailed instructions