Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need expert advice on roof

I am going to put a new roof on my 20 year old house. I am located in Alabama. I am a retired teacher and one of my former students has his own roofing business. He has given me an estimate that is about the same as 2 other estimates I have received. The problem I have is that he wants to use the Atlas Signature Gold Shingle. From what I have read on this forum Atlas seems to have a lot of problems with there shingles. He says this is an excellent shingle and one of the best on the market. I don't think he has been in the roofing business long. He did a house in my neighborhood and the roof looks good.

From what I have read I am leaning toward having the Tamko Heritage shingles put on. I would like to have him do the job but he says his supplier does not handle Tamko. He says the Atlas is a better shingle. So it looks as if I go with Tamko then I will have to get a different roofer.

Am I being unreasonable, any opinions on Tamko and Atlas????

jacknk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Ask him why he can't go to the supplier that has the product you prefer. If he wants to be successful he needs to be able to offer more than one thing.

That just seems odd to me.

As far as quality goes I cannot comment on Atlas since they are not used up here. Tamko has always been a reliable product though.

As with all roofing, the worst product put on by a great roofer can still be an excellent system. The best product put on by a lousy roofer can be a disaster. Quality of installation should always be your main concern.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Not all suppliers carry all brands, in my area ABC Supply doe's not carry Atlas but do carry Tamko, in other area's ABC carries Atlas but not Tamko, but, ABC Supply is a national chain, so even tho the one closest to me doe's not stock Atlas I can still purchase them there, with just a a few day delay in waiting for them to be shipped in from another one of the stores.

Is Atlas a quality shingle, yes.
They meet all Federal requirements, so doe's GAF, Tamko, Certainteed, Owens Corning and IKO.

Is Atlas the best on the market, or the only quality shingle on the market, no.
There are pro's and con's to all of them and that's usually defined by regional plants, not always, but usually.

If you research long enough you'll find roofers who speak as poorly about Tamko as they do about Atlas.

Find the contractor you trust, then decide what materials best fit your budget and aesthetic desire.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slyfox For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,020

+1

If you like his work and his approach, see if he can quote the job with another shingle if that is what you want.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

+2.,.,In my area I have no problems getting either.Your contractor MUST NOT try to discourage you from a product just because he has a supplier that does not stock the product by name.

In the end after the roof HE chose is installed after YOU pay the final bill.,in reality you will feel like you were not treated fairly.Then possibly you might feel some "What if's".,and rightfully so.

Now if the contractor has sufficient documented data proving why the material you have chosen contains verifiable facts about defects or not being suitable for your climate then yes IMO he should detour you from that product.

As a consumer you are entitled to buy what you wish for reasons that are yours.IMO of course.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote