Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Share |

Need Attic Ventilation Advice

I need some help with determining how I should ventilate my attic as its always super hot up there in the summer and the main part of my house has basically no venting. Below you should see a diagram of my ranch-style single story house with it broken up into four sections (A-D). Sections B & C are the original house, sections A & D are later additions. When sections A & D were added on the roofing was left in place but small pass-throughs were cut that are barely wide enough for a man to get through. That being said, I think I basically have three separate areas that I need possibly different sets of advice for (you tell me). Here are the facts:
  1. I have no soffit vents that I know of
  2. Section A has a power vent and 1 non-power vent, however the non-power vent could be for the bathroom ventilation fan
  3. Section D has four non-power vents and a gable vent
  4. Section B has 1 no-power vent, however this could be for a bathroom ventilation fan
  5. Section C has no ventilation at all
  6. Section D is a cathedral ceiling and is basically inaccessible in the attic because of how tight it is
  7. The square footages for each section are A 440, B 1,560, C 430, D 420, Total 2,850
  8. I dont know the pitch of the roof but you can easily walk around on it, standard ranch style roof
  9. Ridge length for section A is 13, for section B is 33, for section C is 12
  10. The roof has hips on the ends of sections A and C and the front of section B is a hip. Section D is an A-roof that ties into the ridge of section C. I tried to draw this but it may not be clear.
  11. The drawing is actually to scale.

So what would be the best/easiest way to vent this puppy? Im thinking install soffit vents for each section and then a ridge vent on section B. Leave everything else the way it is. Is that sufficient?

Also, my power vent is quite loud. Its nailed to the trusses and causes a loud vibration. I tried adding rubber grommets but its still kind of loud. How can I fix this if I need to keep it?
Attached Thumbnails
Need Attic Ventilation Advice-roof.jpg  
jobondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. This house is in Virginia Beach, VA where it gets pretty hot and humid in the summers but we don't have much snow fall at all in the winter.
jobondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Soffit and a complete ridge vent with a thermostat power vent for those hot summer day's.. Depending on the age of the power vent you might do well by upgrading to a cleaner more effecient unit.,Just saying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

+1

If the ridge is good and open and the soffits are good, that should probably be enough.

I would air seal the attic floor prior to insulating and you will definitely be fine at that point.

Ambient humidity is not the issue. The issue is humidity generated in the home when outdoor air is dry/cold.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
seeyou (03-28-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Air seal as WoW said, then wrap the AC ducts, if there. You don't want the outside air in: http://www.joelstiburek.com/topten/south.htm

Especially if ducts are there, then a conditioned attic would be better:http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
seeyou (03-28-2012)