Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on what type roof to get...

We had a major storm recently and a tree fell onto my enclosed porch which damaged only a part of the roof. Right now it has corrugated aluminum on it. The porch is a low pitch. Someone we know is going to fix it for us, however, we don't want to spend a lot and if we don't have to fix the entire roof being it is only the one corner we would rather not. It is not that large of a porch. If we do have to replace the entire roof, being it is a low pitch, what material do you suggest, best waterproof, weather resistent and inexpensive? Thanks.

tfelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

As for your question of, if you have to replace the entire roof, I think that is up to your insurance adjuster. If it is storm damage, they pay to replace by a professional.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well my insurance adjuster estimated for the porch a really low amount only a couple thousand. However, I got one quote for the porch and it was for 9,000 from a contractor. So, something is wrong with that picture. Either the insurance guy gave me a REALLY low estimate (and does not know what he is estimating)...or the contractor gave me an estimated rip-off. With that said, that is why we wanted ideas so we can to do this ourselves. To avoid any further headache and crap. Thanks.
tfelicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Was the Contractor and the adjuster bidding the same scope of work? Materials? Size?

This is why people need to show Contractors your paperwork. Not for pricing, but so they know what exactly is covered by the insurance.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Your contractor will work with your insurance company to get the amount needed for the repair (minus the deductible).

I work with insurance claims all the time and always find things that the adjuster missed. Always.

Do not do the work yourself. If you do the work yourself and come up short on money, the insurance company Will Not give you more money because you are not a licensed contractor.

Can you compare the bid you got from the contractor to what the adjuster gave you to see why the numbers are so different?
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote