Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
MB1

Share |

Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean?

Hi, I have a number of concerns regarding my re-roof, but will raise just a few around venting/flashing here and really value your professional opinions on what corrections, if any, I should ask for.

1) All my ducting for 4 ceiling fans were done per the picture. (note, I removed cap for the picture).I believe this duct should be attached to a collar and not left hanging. In addition, the old vents were low profile w/damper to prevent backdraft and exhaust side down-slope. New one exposed to intake 360 degrees. Contract was to replace "all vents with equivalent."

2) The vent covers were painted, and you can see in 30 days it is already peeling and is very noticeable from the street. They used spray paint meant for metal - on plastic covers. If I knew this was their intent, I'd have said to "leave as is." I have 12 of these. Big concern is that if we replace them, my installation may be less water-tight and prone to leakage

3) My roofer says that vents for ventilation were not covered. Given we were putting on a 50 yr material, I wanted these changed during re-roof. He says furnace, br fans, water heater, and pipe flashings/caps were covered. There were no excluded vents mentioned in the agreement. What is typically meant by "replace all vents?"

4) Contract stated to replace all metal flashings, but only chimney saddle if needed. The dormer step flashing was put in per picture, but the flashing under the windows was not replaced. Should it have been?

My roofer is very fair and willing to fix anything to make me happy, but I also don't want to waste his time making changes that won't matter, or would risk the integrity of my new roof

If you were in my shoes, what would you ask for?

Thanks everyone for your input...very appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean?-dormer-flashing.jpg   Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean?-old-exhaust-vent.jpg   Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean?-vent-paint-issue-txt.jpg   Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean?-new-br-exhaust-set.jpg  

Last edited by MB1; 02-02-2012 at 08:08 AM. Reason: enhance pictures w/text
MB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Need advice-what needs correcting? What does replace all vents, metal flashings mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Hi, I have a number of concerns regarding my re-roof, but will raise just a few around venting/flashing here and really value your professional opinions on what corrections, if any, I should ask for.

1) All my ducting for 4 ceiling fans were done per the picture. (note, I removed cap for the picture).I believe this duct should be attached to a collar and not left hanging. In addition, the old vents were low profile w/damper to prevent backdraft and exhaust side down-slope. New one exposed to intake 360 degrees. Contract was to replace "all vents with equivalent."

Ceiling fans? I think you mean bathroom vent fans.

If the pipe is attached to the truss or otherwise supported to where it will not fall down, it is not critical to have it attached and makes servicing the roof portion of the vent easier in the future.

Backdraft/dampers are better suited to be on each fan at the box now and they work better in those applications.

2) The vent covers were painted, and you can see in 30 days it is already peeling and is very noticeable from the street. They used spray paint meant for metal - on plastic covers. If I knew this was their intent, I'd have said to "leave as is." I have 12 of these. Big concern is that if we replace them, my installation may be less water-tight and prone to leakage

12 fans like that? Most folks will not warrant their original work if disturbed.

I would also point out that the "plastic" paints that are out there are better, but will not last anywhere near 50 years either. If the black were close enough, I would have left them as that.

3) My roofer says that vents for ventilation were not covered. Given we were putting on a 50 yr material, I wanted these changed during re-roof. He says furnace, br fans, water heater, and pipe flashings/caps were covered. There were no excluded vents mentioned in the agreement. What is typically meant by "replace all vents?"

Totally depends on the contract but whether the emphasis falls on the all or the vent leaves things a bit cloudy. Again, what type of ventilation were you talking about here?

4) Contract stated to replace all metal flashings, but only chimney saddle if needed. The dormer step flashing was put in per picture, but the flashing under the windows was not replaced. Should it have been?

If it was in good shape, no. Replacing it would require, in most cases, removal of the siding and other trim. That is not something that most folks will want to incur the cost for if the flashing is in good shape.

My roofer is very fair and willing to fix anything to make me happy, but I also don't want to waste his time making changes that won't matter, or would risk the integrity of my new roof

If you were in my shoes, what would you ask for?

Thanks everyone for your input...very appreciated!
I will need some clarification on the vent description but are you happy with the quality of the roof install otherwise?

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
MB1

Sure, what do you need in terms of clarification on the vent description? With regards to overall quality, I'll be happy when we get some a lot of rain and I know it isn't leaking. And, I do have another short punch list of items that need addressing. Aesthetically, I'm happy except of items I've posted. And, after reading the long post on the custom home, I'm exstatic that so far NO WAVY ROOF
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
MB1

Thank you for your comments. I just noticed you had replied in-line to each of my points after I sent my first reply.

1) Yes, I meant bathroom fans. The flexible duct is attached to 7/16" edge of sheathing with a nail and fell through once already. I agree service is easy. I have a couple of concerns Are they valid?

a) The cutout in the sheathing is around 6". If in the remote case the fan motor produces a spark, it has a path back under the sheathing to ignite the paper based insulation. I thought code actually required these ducts to be attached to a collar.

b) Given the style of cap, and no integrated colar like my old vent, couldn't moisture work it's way down? This cap allows inflow & exhaust whereas the old style I think is primarily exhaust only. Water can lead to packing of the insulation, and I have electrical too around that box.

c) My bathroom fans do have dampers, but the manufacturer of my home still installed the roof vent with dampers as well. These manufactured home builders cut pennies everywhere they can and these are a bit cheaper without the damper, so that leads me to think the engineers had something in mind on this design. Thoughts?

2) These are not fans. These are vents for exhausting warm air. The intake are under soffits at the front of the house and my dormers. I talked to the manufacturer of my home before getting the roof installed and the home is engineered for a specific amount of square footage of venting. As long as these were replaced with the same net free air flow as the existing we'd be ok. In fact, the roofer initially tried to sell me on putting in some more expensive/attractive version for an extra $40 each.

-Lol. I would have been fine with the original dark gray too.

-Does tearing out these old ones and replacing increase the risk I'll have leaks in the future, given nails & shingles will need to be pulled, as winterguard membrane torn off?

3) I am talking about the vents / ventillation in #2 above.

4) I had a lot of problems with leaking around my dormers (there was no step flashings before), so I had wanted and expected these flashings to be replaced, but I hadn't considered damage to siding. This is cement based siding, and a lot of damage was done to it when they worked on the chimney and dormer step flashings.

In your opinion from the pictures, what do you think of the flashings here? They are only 9 years old.

Thanks again for your time and help

Cheers,
Marcum