Need Advice Of Choosing The Proper Roofing Shingle Product - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

View Poll Results: what do consider the best asphalt 30 year shingle currenlty?
certainteed landmark series 0 0%
owerns-corning duration 0 0%
tamko heritage 30 1 25.00%
GAF elk 3 75.00%
other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. This poll is closed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


hi all,
i have been researching the posts, and like most of the people on here, i am using this site, to choose a shingle manufactor (asphalt 30yr AR arch type) i have gotten about 6 estimates from verified local roofing companies, I have a pretty basic moderate to low slope roof, with one gable that covers a front porch with 2 5 ft valleys. I live in the charlotte, nc area, I have a slight wind issue, and my current roof (installed in 1990) was a basic 20 yr asphalt. THis is a basic 1200 sw ft home.
I have had some wind damage, with some extreme 60mph+ days, i dont have trees for coverage so my roof while low(single story) still gets in a perfect spot, and the low pitch doesnt help it.
The roof has done its good 18 years.
I am wanting some added protection for the days of extreme wind, and while we are inland, we can be subject to hurricane winds as times. I was considering the owens-corning duration (100-110 mph) with the additional strip, and have heard good and bad about OC. Some from the gravel not doesnt hold up long to that OC is not good to deal with for warranty issues. i am also adding 2 ice dams, and a 4' ventridge product, that is sorely needed with hip and ridge cap vs using 3-tab(personal preference)
So, my 3 main choices, are certainteed landmark (70mph) or landmark plus. Tamko hertiage 30 with high wind application( i talked to tamko directly) about this, and owens-corning duration. I will have a basic morie black, so no real reason to get caught up.GAF was a consideration, but i have heard a lot of negatives over its warranty. It may be just my region.
also, does hand nailing make a diff? i am doing roof removal, installing #15felt, and then 1 layer of some 30 year AR arch style fiberglass or laminated shingle..
I have been told certainteed looks better, and has had very good warranty assistance. i saw one bad post about the landmark prodct. slyfox, ur advice was well given too. a slightly stonger wind rating is important to me...
thanks for the help, i have been doing my homework. i know tamko is still pretty new, but has anyone had any good or bad issues with the warranty reps? or the product (heritage 30) itself
thanks,
matt in NC

Advertisement

nc_yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 100 miles north of Atlanta, 20 south of Chattanooga
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


Hi Matt,

I am going through the same process, so for what it's worth, I will share what I have found.

The Certainteed Landmark(240lb) and Landmark Plus(260lb) have a wind warranty upgrade to 110 and 130 mph respectively. You must use Certainteed starter and Certainteed hip and ridge for this. I believe this superceded the 6 nail application which was the prior requirement.

General concensus seems to be that blowoffs are caused more often by high nailing that anything else.

Application in winter is another problem as some degree of heat is required for the proper seal down.

My roofer strongly prefers hand-nailing and some of the manufacturers seem to prefer it as well. Lot of different opinions on this one. It is typically more time consuming and more expensive.

As you go through the process of selecting a roofer, your options may become less confusing(mine did), and you may go with the best one's recommendation. I would personally defer to a pro on this over my own opinion.

Just my thoughts, not being a roofer(I did stay at a Holiday Inn...).

I'm sure the real roofers will correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck.

Alan

Advertisement

oldgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrunt View Post
Hi Matt,

I am going through the same process, so for what it's worth, I will share what I have found.

The Certainteed Landmark(240lb) and Landmark Plus(260lb) have a wind warranty upgrade to 110 and 130 mph respectively. You must use Certainteed starter and Certainteed hip and ridge for this. I believe this superceded the 6 nail application which was the prior requirement.

General concensus seems to be that blowoffs are caused more often by high nailing that anything else.

Application in winter is another problem as some degree of heat is required for the proper seal down.

My roofer strongly prefers hand-nailing and some of the manufacturers seem to prefer it as well. Lot of different opinions on this one. It is typically more time consuming and more expensive.

As you go through the process of selecting a roofer, your options may become less confusing(mine did), and you may go with the best one's recommendation. I would personally defer to a pro on this over my own opinion.

Just my thoughts, not being a roofer(I did stay at a Holiday Inn...).

I'm sure the real roofers will correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck.

Alan
thanks alan, and sharing any info is very helpful, i found a good site, www.roofery.com it had a lot of good info. I looked at landmark, and it was rated at 70 mph, and you had to go to the landmark TL to get 110 mph coverage, though the warranty was more extensive. this site actually was pretty hard on certainteed warranty process. I am getting some more quotes, but to say the least the roofer and what they garuantee makes the difference, we had a lot of hail damage in the fall, so there is a lot of work in the area, so price is up, since demand is up, falling oil should help, but the refinig process of crude has gotten more effiecent, so the amount of product to make asphalt has is less available, pushing the asphalt shingle price up. so the roofers can't win, and neither can consumers. It was also estimated that labor accounts for about 80% or more of price. That is market price premium. i am not rushing this, and doing a winter install, may not be so good as it may be too cold for proper sealing. I am in NC, we dont get really cold winters, but it could affect things. certainteed was starting to win me over, but i am hoping to get some better feedback on here, check out that site as well. Consumers Reports was not helpful, as it didnt rate the shingle or roofing material manufactors. I know that they all should meet certain, wind, fire, and ratings as well. It is not installed correctly though, the shingle wont do its job, so selecting the correct contractor is just as important.
nc_yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 100 miles north of Atlanta, 20 south of Chattanooga
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


Hi Matt,

The eighth edition Certainteed installation manual, and the certainteed Roofing Selection Guide both specify that the Landmark 30 wind warranty can be upgraded to 110mph, and the Plus to 130 mpg just by using their starter and hip and ridge. Not necessary to move to the TL.

I was quoted Landmark 30 year here for $69.95, and Tamko $63.95 just for your reference.

Hurricanes, etc do wreak havoc on market pricing I know, as well as bringing out every stormchaser and others claiming to be "roofers".

Sounds like your are doing your due diligence, and again I wish you the best of luck.

Alan
oldgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 500
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


I am currently half way through a Certainteed Presidential Shake installment, this past monday when I started the job the question about rather or not i had to use a two ply starter strip came into question,
using my cell phone right there from the jobsite and the phone number listed on the shingle wrappers, I was on the phone 'with a live person' and getting my questions answered and back to work with in 20 minutes.

Altho the two ply starter system a bit off topic, because you won't need to use it on either of the shingles you mentioned, I think it was worth mentioning the ease in which I was able to contact them,
and that is the exact same repsonse they are known for on thier warranty issues also, atleast here in my area anyhow.

I have had good experiences in dealing with Tamko as well.


Hand nail verses gun nail = half dozen one way,, six the other.
I have seen both hand and gun fasteners poorly installed,
and visiversa.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


thank you very much, looks like to ge the high wind protection, i need to look at the landmark XL (or TL) product, it is impact resistant too, but roofery.com rated certainteeds cust service and warranty service poor. have you installed the OC duration before, and how do the granules hold up? i am favoring OC duration, better warranty, but i am getting a tamko estimate today...i am looking at hertiage 30 AR product. with high wind application. i am grateful for your feedback..
be good, matt
nc_yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgrunt View Post
Hi Matt,

The eighth edition Certainteed installation manual, and the certainteed Roofing Selection Guide both specify that the Landmark 30 wind warranty can be upgraded to 110mph, and the Plus to 130 mpg just by using their starter and hip and ridge. Not necessary to move to the TL.

I was quoted Landmark 30 year here for $69.95, and Tamko $63.95 just for your reference.

Hurricanes, etc do wreak havoc on market pricing I know, as well as bringing out every stormchaser and others claiming to be "roofers".

Sounds like your are doing your due diligence, and again I wish you the best of luck.

Alan
thank you, i need to ask about using their starter shingles to get the hgh wind application...still doing my homework...
nc_yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 500
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_yella View Post
thank you very much, looks like to ge the high wind protection, i need to look at the landmark XL (or TL) product, it is impact resistant too, but roofery.com rated certainteeds cust service and warranty service poor. have you installed the OC duration before, and how do the granules hold up? i am favoring OC duration, better warranty, but i am getting a tamko estimate today...i am looking at hertiage 30 AR product. with high wind application. i am grateful for your feedback..
be good, matt
For me on an average year the most commonly installed to lease,
Tamko
Gaf/Elk
Cetainteed
OC & Atlas
they all have pro's and con's.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
For me on an average year the most commonly installed to lease,
Tamko
Gaf/Elk
Cetainteed
OC & Atlas
they all have pro's and con's.
thank you very much, getting a tamko estimate today...
nc_yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Git 'er done
 
GutterGnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


I work with a lot of people who use GAF and they all gave great reviews FWIW.
GutterGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Smile

need advice of choosing the proper roofing shingle product


thank you, i have an estimate coming tomorrow for someone using atlas stormmaster slate. that is a heavy wind, impact resistant shingle, similar to landmark TL, or OC duration (not sure of impact) i did some research on atlas, the warranty looked similar to certainteed and tamko, only OC offers labor and materails, and their wind rating is 15 years, but these should last about 25-30 years...anyone have issues with atlas stormmaster slate or atlas as a whole?

Advertisement

nc_yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing The "Right" Roofing Contractor, How To Evaluate Who Is Right! Ed the Roofer Roofing/Siding 27 04-25-2013 06:10 AM
Choosing Proper Wire size PowerEight Electrical 15 05-22-2008 01:58 AM
Which Roll roofing product is least susceptible to mistakes by inexperienced roofers? boyblue Roofing/Siding 3 07-22-2007 06:03 PM
Guide: Choosing a shingle Grumpy Roofing/Siding 0 12-27-2003 06:06 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts