Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Nails from roof visible in attic

I am having a new roof installed on my house, which was built around 1923. All the old shingles were removed first. About five days into the job, I went up into my attic to check on something. Looking up, I noticed that the ends of the nails, which are being used to install the shingles, were sticking through the wood boards of the roof.

I asked the brother of the roofer (the brother is doing the actual work) if this was the best way to put on shingles. He said he had suggested to his brother that they put down another layer of wood on the roof before installing the shingles. His brother replied, “no”.

It seems to me that with hundreds of nails piercing the wood, you are creating many more places for water to leak through. My previous roof, installed in 1987, had very few nails protruding through the wood boards.

Knowing nothing about how a new roof is installed, is his method of laying down shingles something that should concern me?

Thanks.

peterglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Every roof has the roofing nails protruding through the plywood. Perfectly normal!

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Nails should protrude at least 1/4 through the plywood per manufacturer specifications.
BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Perfectly normal.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

Yep Normal you want that to happen. and you won't have leaks.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #6

Peterglass,

When you say "wood boards of the roof" are you saying that the roof is NOT plywood but solid wood "planks"? If so, it's my understanding that the nails SHOULD NOT go through to the attic.

I was just discussing this same subject (regarding nail length) in another thread a few weeks back. I was replacing the roof on my detached garage which had the "plank" type decking (not plywood). Being a DIYer, I opted (at the suggestion of a reputable handyman) to add a layer of 3/8" plywood over my solid wood decking. This helped to provide a flat surface for the new felt & shingles. Before doing the job, I questioned a few contractors. They all told me it was overkill and not necessary. This helped make my decision to do the job myself even easier.

Anyhow, every piece of literature I've come across has stated that the nails on solid wood decking should only penetrate by 3/4". In other words, they should not go through to the attic.
nil8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

nil8r, they are saying the minimum requirement is 3/4" penetration. Piercing all the way through is only an aesthetics issue and has nothing to do with the integrity of the roof.

The contractors were correct in saying it was overkill on a solid wood deck. Re-sheeting it was an option, not a necessity.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterglass View Post
It seems to me that with hundreds of nails piercing the wood, you are creating many more places for water to leak through
Not true. The nails are only through the shingles up where the water shouldn't be running on them anyway. Otherwise there'd be water getting into the wood and that's just as bad as having it drip all the way through.

The only time lots of really long nails protruding down into the attic is a problem is if you're up there using it for storage. So just use a pair of nippers to lop off the protruding bits of it bothers you that much. Just don't pull on the nails, cut 'em clean without yanking them.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil8r View Post

Anyhow, every piece of literature I've come across has stated that the nails on solid wood decking should only penetrate by 3/4". In other words, they should not go through to the attic.
Completely untrue! I live and work in a High wind zone were we get storms that amount to Hurricanes but we don't name them we just call them November storms coming off the Pacific. Sorry I digress We by code have to use 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inch roofing nails and have full penetration of nail through wood sheathing to help keep said roofing materials on! If your worried about leakage don't the Bittimen tar will seal up right around the nail and a good roofing nail will have a full ring shank. If you want I can take photos of a new home under construction that has nails coming through its roof in to the attic and it is perfectly 100% A-OK!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Real strange is all I can say. There's no need for them to penetrate planks. We're on the east coast and see a few named storms each year.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

If it's new construction then it's engineered wood. Engineered wood requires it go minimum 1/4" through the sheeting. Once again, solid planking is different. It requires a minimum penetration of 3/4" into the decking. It does not have to penetrate all the way through but it does not hurt anything if it does.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-25-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
If it's new construction then it's engineered wood. Engineered wood requires it go minimum 1/4" through the sheeting. Once again, solid planking is different. It requires a minimum penetration of 3/4" into the decking. It does not have to penetrate all the way through but it does not hurt anything if it does.
I had my roof done and the roofers had to replace a part of the uderlayment and I asked why they were not using OSB and they said that The code for it is 1/2 inch min 5 layer CDX plywood. Because Enginered wood does not hold up over time.

Last edited by All thumb's; 06-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.
All thumb's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Doing This Way Too Long

Engineered is a generic term encompassing anything that is not in a natural state (ply, osb etc) 5-ply is correct for a low-slope application as 4 or 3-ply is not structural. if it is replacement it needs to be structural. If resheeting over an existing deck there is no need for a structural sheet.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Peterglass, where are you located?

Gary
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #15

I am in Connecticut.

Thanks everybody for all the replys!!

Peter

peterglass is offline   Reply With Quote