Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Nail pop

Just had new roof put on yesterday. Today, noticed the end shingle on the small roof above my front door has a nail popping out already and the shingle is lifting. Is this rare? Do I need to be concerned about the rest of the roof?
Attached Images

Slyguysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Nail pop

It looks as if they nailed to close to the rake and probably didn't hit lumber with the fastener.

It's a rooky mistake easily fixed, your contractor should have no problem coming back to fix that and I'm sure he/she will look over the area while they are up there.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Nail pop

I agree with Sly,,,,but out a curiosity was the RidgeVent hand nailed or shot? And do you know the length?
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #4

Nail pop

Dont know if ridge vent was hand nailed or shot. I know both were happening up there! There is no vent on the small roof shown. It's just the apex above the front door. Why do you ask? Rest of roof looks good from what I can see. The "rookie" comment concerns me since this guy had been doing it 20 years. Local reputable company.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Nail pop

My fault OP,,,,That is high profile ridge,,,Typically when you have a nail pop it happens when the ridge vent is installed.,I have not had a nail pop on ridge cap alone,,,,,interesting though.Sometimes ridge is installed by a person that might not be as experienced as the owner.

I sometimes have someone sort of " In training" do the ridge while I am doing the site walk through making sure everything is sealed and nothing is overlooked.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #6

Nail pop

There is no ridge vent there. It's just the small roof that is just above the front door. They did install a ridge vent on the real roof though. I also can't even figure out what the point of the small popping up shingle strip is?!?! The shingle below it goes all the way to the edge, is even with the rest of the shingles, and the old shingles didn't have that little strip shingle piece. I actually think it looks kind of stupid being there in the first place.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 544

Nail pop

The first response was probably correct. It looks like the nail didn't bite into anything substantial. Easy fix. Either call them back or better yet just pull the nail carefully, move it back so when you nail it down it hits the sheathing underneath. Then BE SURE to use some roofing tar/caulk and dab a bit over both nails. This will prevent water from penetrating the small hole that you created in both the nailed in part and hole from the previous nail spot.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

Nail pop

So the area in the picture is a dormer?,,,,,,,The section in the picture dead ends into a valley ?,,,,If so typically IMHO the ridge is ran the wrong way.I always start at the rake and run the ridge cap into the valley.

If the ridge cap was ran that way,,,,,the need for closing the ridge out like that would not be necessary.Ridge cap should be ran toward the prevailing wind but IMO when a dormer is present it should be ran into the valley.,and once again that will depend on the length of the ridge too.15' or 20' I run into the ridge but 30'+ dormer ridge I install against the wind.

Will it leak ? No,,,,,,Is it completely wrong?,,,No

Will it affect your roofs performance,,,,No

Does it affect the appearance and create an undesirable aesthetic look,,,Yes,,,obviously because it backfired,,,,and you notice it.
Attached Thumbnails
Nail pop-image-1265156378.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #9

Nail pop

Sorry for my ignorance of terms. If by dormer you mean something like the roof above the door in the attached picture, then yes. This is a photo from the web and not my actual house. It's dark outside now, so I can't take a pic. Mine is slightly smaller and no gutters. So do you mean they installed the shingles in reverse order? Should they just remove that ridiculous looking piece that is popping up? The photo I posted originally was taken from a window above the front door, looking out. Thanks. I want to know what to tell the company that did this. They're coming back to finish interior work due to us eliminating three skylights during this project.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

Nail pop

I will be posting you again in a few minutes,,,My laptop battery took a dump,so I am using this slow dinosour...desktop.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

Nail pop

In my opinion and mine only,,,,it looks hideous.Its up to you.If it was ran from the rake (Blue) into the wall (Red) the need for that small strip to be on the rake (Blue) would not be necessary.

If they had some ridge left over it would be simple and quick.Bottom line is,,,your happiness and contentment.They could tell you that it would not cause any problems with your roofs performance,,,and they are right,,,,But it is something you noticed and obviously it caught your eye in a negative manor so its up to you,,,,,

Besides it is right in the front of your house, so you will see it daily and you will be annoyed daily when you are forced to see it.Your call

If you feel funny about leaving it and you decide to say something,,,tell them to start at the rake and end in the wall.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #12

Nail pop

Is that small strip necessary anyway? Doesn't look like it. Thanks.

Last edited by Slyguysmoke; 04-23-2011 at 05:53 AM.