Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Share |

Nail gun or hammer

I'm at a cross road I going to re-roof my house I did it 18 yrs ago myself took me about week early mornings and evenings, and now need to not that I have to but want to sell my house in about a yr should I invest in a nail gun at about $100 not to include the cost of nails and is it worth it in time vs just nailing them by hand. I was going to just lay over them but after research it's probably best to just reshingle.

GRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

Nail gun or hammer

I am not a roofer by trade, so take this for what it's worth, but, In my opinion, an emphatic no; not worth it. Nail gun, nails, air compressor, hose, and what have you gained. Not doing it every day, you most likely do not have the "roof legs" of a pro, so you are only going to move so fast to start with. And what help will you have? Probably others who are not going to be nimble up there? You will have enough to watch for, such as your footing, nail placement, flashings, etc., let alone watching your new nailer, to make sure that you have it set right, so that it's not blowing through the shingles, that, again, I doubt that you are going to gain a lot of time. I would put the money toward good roof jacks, planks, stripping tools, and fall protection. And yes, I do have a pair of good Senco roofing nailers, which I use on sheds, etc., so do have something to compare against, but, typically, when I am assisting someone with their own roof, or something like that, where I have inexperienced assistance, I leave them in the truck, because I don't want them getting ahead of what I can keep an eye on, and possibly start shooting nails in a valley, or something like that. And, even when you do get rolling on a straight stretch, I can almost guarantee you that you will spend agood part of the time second guessing whether you nailed that next to the last shingle, because I have seen that happen a number of times.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

Nail gun or hammer

If you want to be able to nail those shingles down at least 4 times faster then buy the gun.
If you try one it will blow you away how much faster it is.
A simple job like nailing the paper down would make it all worth while.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #4

Nail gun or hammer

nail gun for sure. not only does it make it faster, it will let you add a few nails that you might not do if you hand nailed. and $100.00 for a nail gun, well thats cheap. a good one cost about $250.00 or better.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #5

Nail gun or hammer

Wow I do appreciate the responses, my roof is a very low pitch and no valleys two basic pitches straight runs with a few vent stacks. I didn't even think about using the gun for the paper I was thinking abut getting a hammer tacker (stapler) i thought the gun would be to strong for the paper, something to think about. I already have the compressor so the gun would be the only missing tool for this job
Thanks again guys
Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #6

Nail gun or hammer

G,
I bought a bostitch gun when I roofed my shop addition, about 22 squares of shingles. Much, much easier than hand nailing. Nail depth adjustment is easy, and once you set the depth, you can forget about it. I used a hammer stapler on the felt. Buy a decent gun, use it, then sell it. You'll get a good portion of your money back and the job will go a lot easier.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Roofing Contractor

Nail gun or hammer

Yes, a duo fast hammer tacker for the underlayment (with full tear off) and a coil nail gun for the shingles. 1.25in with laminates and you could go 1in with 3 tabs.

As far as nail guns like others mentioned you could spend from $100-300. If it's going to be used mainly for this roof you should be fine with the $100 gun. If you use a gun every day your better off with the $300 gun.

You could also possibly rent a nail gun? Most rental places have Hitachi NV45's a great gun. There's also decent deals on new and barely used nail guns on ebay or even craigslist. I think quite a few homeowners like yourself buy a gun roof their house and put it on CL or Ebay.

Good Luck!!!
dougger222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #8

Nail gun or hammer

Well in a hurry kinda yes and no, I do have time 2-3 wks but also in our monsoon season..yuk. So I'm planning to just tear it off in parts and then shingle.. Then repeat it. Case we get a down pour like we did yesterday. So correct me if I'm wrong.. I will start at one end of the eave and rake and tear off along the eave but enough high enough for the width to lay the paper, then lay the starter and then lay the dimensional down..any better ideas? About 18 yrs ago it took me a full wk of early mornings and evenings due to the heat and will need to do the same now. I know starting at the top to lay the paper is recommended and move down the pitch..then next run of the paper goes under the upper one. Would it be just as easy to start at the eave.. My south side has all my stacks and vents and north side is a straight run with nothing in the way..what do you guys think?

Last edited by GRed; 07-10-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #9

Nail gun or hammer

I'm a DIYer and did my roof in stages over the past year and a half. I started out being a "purist" and hand nailing. This took forever. There's always hards spots (knots, etc.) in the wood that make hand nailing some of the nails very difficult. It worked ok but my hands took a beating. I invested in a cheap Harbor Freight compressor and nail gun (about $150) total and it went much faster, much smoother, and my hands thanked me every day!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #10

Nail gun or hammer

Yea Gymschu, I already have the compressor, am planning to get the nail gun and that hammer tacker for the paper here shortly..I'm figuring about 120 total. I think you and all the other guys that recommend it are correct especially about the hand part thanking you...hahaha I will probably need to start within the next 7-10 days or so I have a deadline by aug. 10th. but also would like to take little trip before that date comes around.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #11

Nail gun or hammer

Gr,
not sure if I follow your previous post about the tearoff. I always started at the bottom with the felt and worked my way up. Maybe you could borrow or buy some of the big blue vinyl tarps to have on hand in case a storm is brewing.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #12

Nail gun or hammer

Firehawk,
yeaa your right after I wrote that I realized you do start from the botom up..,and I do have tarps so I was considering that..its easier to roll the felt from bottom up...does it matter if shingles are 1/4 or 3/8 on the rake and.... I was planning to do the starter at 1/4 in over hang and the 1st course another 1/4 over hang for the eaves. I am hoping to get enough done to have very little showing before tearing off another section. That will be the hard part determing when to stop or do I have enugh time to do another section.. Im older now then I was back then when I did it. I guess it's trial and error on my part.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
liscenced electrician

Nail gun or hammer

id advise buying a used one and selling it when youre done. You will probably break even.

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote