Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |
Angry

Mystery Roof Leak

Hi all, I have had a leak in my shingled roof for over a year now. It's been big enough to soak the drywall ceiling in the guest bathroom. I've had 3 pros come out to try to determine the source. NONE of them could identify ANY issues with the shingles. They all said it looked fine (as it should be, the roof is only 3 years old). They've all said that they could strip all the shingles from the edge to the ridge 5' or so on either side of the leak and lay down new shingles. All of them have said it may or may not fix things, and that it may make it worse or cause new leaks. Estimates ranged from $650 - $800. Very aggravating!

What I would like to know is, is there a shingle sealer that might work? Preferably DYI? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Brak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Mystery Roof Leak

Could it be coming in from the side.. instead of the roof? Then work its way to where it shows up in the house? this could be the case, especially if you only find the water during windy rains.

BW_AustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #3

Mystery Roof Leak

Thanks - I had thought of that too, but no, it's definitely not coming from inside. It only leaks when it's raining (snowmelt doesn't leak for some reason), and it will leak during a windless rain.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
the Musigician

Mystery Roof Leak

Do you have attic access?
You should be able to determine exactly where it's leaking by following the water stains/wet spots. Is the leak near a vent or skylight or chimney? May be bad flashing too.

DM
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #5

Mystery Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Do you have attic access?
You should be able to determine exactly where it's leaking by following the water stains/wet spots. Is the leak near a vent or skylight or chimney? May be bad flashing too.

DM
Yes, I can see exactly where it's leaking through the plywood sheathing in the attic. However, directly above the leak on the surface of the roof, there's no obvious problem with the shingles, nor any visible problems above it on the roof. There's no penetrations/chimney/vent above or around it - it just slopes up to the ridge. No one has seen anything to replace or repair. The whole roof has been examined, and the Pros I had come take a look didn't see anything wrong with the roof that could affect it. They were all scratching their heads.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #6

Mystery Roof Leak

Seems like the only way to find out is to redo the shingles at the leaking section and hope it won't leak again ...
Stephen S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #7

Mystery Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen S. View Post
Seems like the only way to find out is to redo the shingles at the leaking section and hope it won't leak again ...
Well I guess you're probably right. Since no one has responded about it, I guess no one really has any experience with sealers. I don't want to buy a sealer without at least some confirmation that it could work. I was hoping to spend half of what it would take to replace shingles and do it myself.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Mystery Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brak View Post
Well I guess you're probably right. Since no one has responded about it, I guess no one really has any experience with sealers. I don't want to buy a sealer without at least some confirmation that it could work. I was hoping to spend half of what it would take to replace shingles and do it myself.
The only sealer that will work is new shingles. Many shingles allow watert o get through them. Generally, they look fine, but still leak. Just remove enough and install new ones.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Mystery Roof Leak

Here's what you do... locate the entry point of the leak, start there on the roof, dis-assemble the roofing going upwards from there, until you find the defect.

Most shingle roof leaks must be dis-assembled in order to find the problem. If you don't do this, it would equate to opening the hood, looking at the engine, and deciding to start changing parts without testing to find out what's wrong with the car.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #10

Mystery Roof Leak

i would do the repair after a good soaking where you see the water coming thru the inside, then check tarpaper under shingles as you remove them for water path
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
the Musigician

Mystery Roof Leak

wanna be certain? just glue sheet rubber roofing over the whole mess....lol

DM