Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

my roof leaks Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofing Expert
Thanks Mike ;-)
Hi Mike, I have 14 x 74 mobile home. I bought it new in 93". I've lived in it 4 almost 18 years. I've been coating the roof as directed by the manufacturer. Unfortunately, even given my best intensions, it has started to leak . So to try to prevent further damage, I need to build a roof over top of the existing one. So my first ??? is where do I start ???????? HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!

Kolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

my roof leaks Help!

Hi Everyone, I'm a single mom with 2 boys, & I've been doing DIY since the time that DIY wasn't cool !!!!! LOL :0)
right now I desperately need to build a new roof !!!!! Any suggestions or advice ????

Kolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

my roof leaks Help!

Kolleen---Please come back and add details---Your other posting mentioned a mobile home.

Post a picture---so we have an idea what's there now --and your location --so we have and idea how harsh the weather is.

Oh, And welcome!!----Mike----
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

my roof leaks Help!

What type of roof? What slope? What kind of details? What is the cause of the leak? How old is the roof? How many layers is the roof?

A picture speaks 1,000,000.00 words. Please post a pic or three.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,932

my roof leaks Help!

I hope she comes back---
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
Flat Roofing Expert

my roof leaks Help!

If the insulation is sufficient have u thought about a pre made epdm cover or a spray on rubber?
Flatroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

my roof leaks Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatroofer View Post
If the insulation is sufficient have u thought about a pre made epdm cover or a spray on rubber?
We don't even know if it's a flat or shingle roof.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

my roof leaks Help!

Kolleen, I have seen many mobile homes that have a new roof built on top, or a pole barn built over them. In both cases, I don't think its a job you would want to take on alone (at least I wouldn't want to.) besides the heavy lifting involved, you will most likely need to have a set of plans for the building permit, and be able to comply with your local codes. You might be better off hiring this out.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Flat Roofing Expert

my roof leaks Help!

Spray on rubber can be used on any roofs
Flatroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 AM   #10

my roof leaks Help!

I live Ogden utah. Husband ran away in march after 18 yrs. Here I am, winter here trying to repair roof and everything else he has neglected for 10 yrs. There is black tar patches everywhere. I stepped back after shrink wrapping swamp cooler and heard CRACK, looked down one those tar spots cracked. (like 2 feet). I will post a picture 2morrow for u guys. I think leaking along the peak down the middle.Ceiling is falling and I can see water marks down the wall running into my breaker box. NOT GOOD HUH? Master bath directly opposite side of house ceiling almost completely down. he didnt want to fix small water leak 5 yrs ago so shut off master bath just opened door 1st time since then. Realized leak from top worse than one from bottom. I am so screwed. mom in law will help pay to get roof fixed this week. Snow comin quick! I have windows with water dripping from frame? Thanks I just feel it I know I came to the right place for help and answers. I get that piture on here in the morning.
Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #11

my roof leaks Help!

Tuesday, you probably should start your own thread asking any specific questions, this will help cut out any confusion about what advice is directed to who.

crackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote