Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

My roof

I climbed up on my roof the other day and have some SERIOUS issues that need to be taken care of before winter...yes I know time is running out.

I just purchased some architectural shingles from my local HD.
Shingles

I've been doing some reading up on how to do my valleys and I'm getting mixed messages/information from the internet.

My plan was to replace any wood necessary, lay down some ice/water barrier and shingle over it.

But I'm reading on open, cut, weave valleys. From what I've seen weaving is the worst and is really only meant for 3 tab anyways.

I'm curious as to what you pros would do for it? Any pictures, video illustrations is the best form for me to learn. I've seen a bunch of pictures on the net but they are tiny and it's hard to see what they are doing.

Thanks!

cornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #2

My roof

I am by no means an expert. But when I roofed my house I run my shingles straight past my valley in one direction. Then run my opposite row across on top of the bottom ones, keeping them all in a straight row. I come back and trimed the top row about three inches above my valley, then used a sealer down the cut edge under the top row. Its been four years so far.

sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

My roof

Weaving is primarily a 3 tab application although some manufacturers do allow it with architecturals on moderate sloped roofs. Even on a closed cut valley application, which is most typical, the first 2-3 courses of shingles get woven. it's onlyy the successive courses that get cut. IMO Ice shield would first be mandatory in the valleys because it's cheap insurance and if you haven't done a roof before the ice shield will catch alot of your mistakes. PS. Keep the nails from the shingles out of the valleys.

My best advice is to hire a professional roofer who specializes in roofing and is properly trained and insured to install a roof. Roofing is not something you want to dabble in as a hobby, as it is highly specialized and one mistake could cost you thousands of dollars in damaged ceilings, wall,s rugs, hard wood floors, electronics etc... and when you do it yourself you get no warranty. Plus you can fall and die. The final reason to hire a roofer, is that in many many DIY roofs 've seen the roofer has to come in a few years after and fix alot of mistakes.

Ok yes shingling is ez and just about anyone can do it. It's the flashings and details that time time, patience, and know how. It's also the flashings that are most critical to the roof actually functioning or not.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

My roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedwick View Post
I am by no means an expert. But when I roofed my house I run my shingles straight past my valley in one direction. Then run my opposite row across on top of the bottom ones, keeping them all in a straight row. I come back and trimed the top row about three inches above my valley, then used a sealer down the cut edge under the top row. Its been four years so far.
I think that's called the cut valley, right?
cornick is offline   Reply With Quote