Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

My flat roof has cold spots what should be done to correct this.

Hello Everyone:

I live in a six unit condo. We have cold spots on the ceiling of our units. The roof is flat and it was replace in November 2006. I live on the North side of the building. My neighbor is experiencing mold due to this problem.

We were informed that this is caused by cold air traveling through the holes in the flex core deck and condensating when it meets the warmer air inside.

We were informed the repair to correct this issue is as follows:

Cut roof and remove metal gravel stop. Remove wood fascia and soffit, blow in fiberglass into the flex core dexk (approxiamtely four feet deep), install new wood fascia and soffit, cover new fasica and soffit with baked enamel aluminum and install new prefinished gravel stop and flash gravel stop with granular surfaced APP modified membrane.

This need to be done to the North and South ends of the building only.

I am confused why the North and South ends only.

This sounds like a new roof to me.

What do you think?

Elmwood405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

I am by no means an expert on flex core, but I am able to follow the roofer's logic. Assuming his diagnosis is correct what he is trying to do is stop the movement of air from tunneling inside the cement roof substrate. The flex core has cores, or holes, spanning through it. If air is somehow blowing into these holes it can travel from one side to the other.

I don't know if fiberglass would be my first choice. Fiberglass isn't an air or vapor barrier. If fiberglass were used some kind of air barrier could be installed to prevent the air from blowing in. Then again I do not know what negative ramifications there would be by actually trapping air from one side to the other. Again I am not an expert in this particular problem. That may be a calculation for an engineer.

The reason only on the North and South is because the cores would only run in one direction. There isn't a grid pattern, so East and West would have no holes for the air to blow into.

It doesn't sound like a new roof to me, but I guess I don't understand that statement. Are you saying you would prefer a new roof, or are you saying you think the contractor is proposing a new roof? based on the scope of work you posted, it doesn't at all sound like a new roof. based on your description of the problem, I do not think a new roof is necessary. Then again if the roof is in bad condition, well obviously a new roof is the naswer to leaks but won't stop the problem you are having (if the diagnosis is correct).

I'm no interior guy, just a roofing contractor, but I might suggest attack this problem from the interior. What are your ceilings? Drywall or do yous ee the exposed cement flex core substrate? I'd probably suggest insulating better from the interior to stop any cold air from migrating to the inside.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Useful Post:
Elmwood405 (04-04-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

This will help your problem, flex core decks are known to condensate, some times worse then others. Insulating under the deck some times will not cure it. I have seen where they use two piece of decking. It 15' and 15' long to span the 30' instead of one piece 30' long, if the mortar (if any) could be damaged and allowing the condesation to drip there, not just front and back. They have proposed to remove the metal edge flashing and fasica board to expose the holes and blow in the insulation. Seems like a good fix to me. I would guess the interior is finished with drywall hence the mold.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
Elmwood405 (04-04-2011)
Old 04-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Talking

Hello: 1985gt and Grumpy

I appreciate the comments posted. I understand the north and south process of the installation. I was concerned about the fiber glass being blown in and not being a good choice for this process.

The majority of our walls are concrete. The unit with mold did replace some walls with drywall. Your statement help me to understand.
Elmwood405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Low Slope Roofing

If you have any other questions let us know. One other thought. after they blow in insulation have them use a foam pack to "seal" the ends. This will help with any air movement. It will cost alittle more as they are not cheap.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote