My First DIY Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

My first DIY roof

I own a small house (~1,500 sq ft) on 40 acres in south Georgia that is badly in need of a new roof. The existing shingles are probably approaching 30 years old and I have started having nightmares about water damage. I am a wood worker and have worked as a contractor in the past but have never replaced a roof. In the interest of never having to do this again I have opted for a metal roof that I am hoping to install over the existing shingle roof. I have done a considerable amount of research and have the basics but there seems to be some conflicting information, persistent vague guidelines, and absent information (usually accompanied with a request for $ if I would like to know more). I am looking for a good source of information on how exactly to go about this. I am willing to pay, so long as I get what I pay for.

I am also planning on where I will be getting my materials. In a perfect world I would like to get it from the supplier and delivered but may have to resort to big box retailer. Will I be able to get what I need from a hardware store? Will they bend me over in regards to the price or will it be comparable to any other retail supplier? Any suggestions on any part of this will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

giser3546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

My first DIY roof

If you never want to do it again, and by what your posting I'm assuming you want to do it right the first time. If that's the case, tear off the old roof. Inspect the decking, install appropriate ice and water shield and an appropriate underlayment. Start with a smooth flat surface.

What metal are you looking at standing seam or exposed fastener. If you never want to do it again Standing seam is the only way.

Now for info, seems you have been looking in the wrong places. Every manufacture I've dealt with lists the details on their sites. Plus other information you might need.

I'd look here https://www.pac-clad.com/metal-roofing/snap-clad/ This is a good panel for the DIY, snap seam that can be used down to 2:12. Clips are extra, and they will sell you the trim metal also. Always been fair to us. I have no idea if they sell to non contractors. I'm guessing money talks, and really that panel isn't that bad as far as price.

If they are not anywhere near you you could also try http://www.berridge.com/products/sta...metal-roofing/

A look though either of those sites should give you all the info you need. If not ask specific questions here, there is a couple of people who have a lot of real world experience and can answer almost anything.

Advertisement

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #3

My first DIY roof

Cost is somewhat of a concern and from what I've heard standing seam is twice the price of exposed fastener. The house itself is not visible from the road or any other houses so aesthetics isn't a concern. What are the main advantages of standing seam over exposed fastener? Time is also a concern since I will be doing this myself with one other person during a vacation which leaves me to wonder what the down side of leave the asphalt shingles on the roof are?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 167

My first DIY roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by giser3546 View Post
Cost is somewhat of a concern and from what I've heard standing seam is twice the price of exposed fastener. The house itself is not visible from the road or any other houses so aesthetics isn't a concern. What are the main advantages of standing seam over exposed fastener? Time is also a concern since I will be doing this myself with one other person during a vacation which leaves me to wonder what the down side of leave the asphalt shingles on the roof are?
The gaskets on the exposed screws fail after awhile, especially if over-driven. No way to inspect and fix deck if leaving shingles on and if you ever have a leak in the future the shingles will get saturated and rot your deck and framing.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

My first DIY roof

+1 to the previous comments.

Pull the roof off. Much better chance to vet the decking and likely to get you a permanent install.

Look at the clip lock standing seam panels. They may not be that much more expensive and will give you a more bulletproof system without the exposed fasteners.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #6

My first DIY roof

Thanks guys, given me a good bit to think about and now I have an idea of what to research. Is there a ball park figure for how much this will set me back. Its a simple gabled roof with shallow pitch, just one or two vents, a chimney, about 1,500 sq ft, and no eaves or overhangs... simple as simple can be.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

My first DIY roof

If you don't remove the roof, any bumps or waves in the shingles will show though. If/when you do it what ever system you decide on make sure to pay really close attention to details, IE the Vents and chimney. That's where your problems will be. The clip seam panels are what we have used and what I linked to. We don't do enough of them to buy a seaming tool. If we did I'd probably buy our own roll former but that's a different story.

You should be able to contact one of the manufactures to get a price. I even noticed menards sells a odd ball concealed fastener panel.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

My first DIY roof

Pricing of the metal is going to be pretty subjective based on the manufacturer, shipping, and your area. Have you checked with local metal shops? Depending on their size a 1500 sq foot order might be a significant order and they might be able to work a nice deal with you. A local metal shop might also help you with any custom work that might need done around the corners, should you require that stuff.

Advertisement

augustinearchie is offline   Reply With Quote