Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
pjm

Share |

Moss on roof

I have a problem with moss patches on my front porch roof. I know that the pitch is just to minimum code for the water runoff and that it might be part of the problem. The other part is my neighbors massive oak tree that blocks most of the sun during the day. Is there any kind of solution I can use to help prevent the moss from forming? My Uncle said he used to use a solution of water mixed with a little bleach and it worked wonders, but I'm not to sure thats good for the shingles? Any insight or ideas anyone has on this would really help me out.

Thanks in advance.

pjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Paul

Moss on roof

You could apply a zinc strip across the top of the roof, you should be able to find plenty of articles on this approach on the internet.

Paul
www.finalsay.ca

finalsay.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #3

Moss on roof

Bleach will only kill what is there.
Zinc will stop future growth.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #4

Moss on roof

Zinc strip is only effective for a few feet,if that.A wider strip of galvanized flashing is way more effective.If you notice on many roofs the area below chimney flashings and such are nice and clean looking,compared to other areas on roof,theres one method(very effective),but may not be cosmetically appealing to you.There are many house where I live that install a wide galvanized ridgecap,that controls the moss the whole roof area.Another method,scrape the moss off carefully and use a mixture of water,bleach and tsp.This works very well.1 quart bleach,1/4 cup tsp,1 gallon water.Water down any plants very well,in areas that are in path off run-off.Try it,you wan't be disapointed.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Moss on roof

Zinc strip is only effective for a few feet,if that.A wider strip of galvanized flashing is way more effective.If you notice on many roofs the area below chimney flashings and such are nice and clean looking,compared to other areas on roof,theres one method(very effective),but may not be cosmetically appealing to you.There are many houses where I live that install a wide galvanized ridgecap,that controls the moss the whole roof area.Another method,scrape the moss off carefully and use a mixture of water,bleach and tsp.This works very well.1 quart bleach,1/4 cup tsp,1 gallon water.Water down any plants very well,in areas that are in path off run-off.Try it,you won't be disapointed.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
pjm

Moss on roof

Thanks for the ideas. One question I don't know what tsp is? I saw an ad for this stuff http://www.mossbuster.com/links/roof.html Anyone tried it? The ad seems to rave about it, but don't they all.

Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #7

Moss on roof

TSP=Trisodium Phosphate
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
pjm

Moss on roof

ok. Would I find that at home depot?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

Moss on roof

maybe,but more than likely at a paint store.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #10

Moss on roof

or cut the tree down
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
pjm

Moss on roof

I would love to clean the tree up, but it's not mine. Just a quick question about application of the solution: How often would you have to do this once a year? Or just re apply when you see moss again? I want to make the roof last as long as I can because with the tough times I don't have the money to get it done right now.

Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
I ask the impossible!

Moss on roof

Cascade dishwashing soap has TSP, while taking my certified renovator course the instructor recommended using Cascade in the mop water because of the TSP which is also good for lead cleanup because it bonds to the lead or something like that.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to profenx

Moss on roof

Try copper to kill algae and moss. I think it poisons algae and moss. You could get copper metal sheets and cut them into strips to use just as the zinc strips. Or if you have lots of pennies laying around you could play with those

profenx is offline   Reply With Quote