Moss On Asbestos Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 320

Moss on asbestos shingles

I have green moss growing on my asbestos shingles. The house was built in the 1930s. What is the best way to get this stuff off without damaging the shingles? I tried a product from the Bayer Company for moss, and it turned it brown, but it still will not come off after I used a broom. I cannot actually step on the roof or I will break the shingles.
Also is there any coating or treatment I can or should use to treat the asbestos shingles to prolong their life?

Advertisement

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

If the roofs in that bad a shape I'd leave the moss on the roof. It's not doing the roof any harm.
Round Up will also kill the moss.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3

The roof seems okay in that there are no leaks. The moss is caused by a large amount of trees in this neighborhood. I trimmed what is on my property, but this will be a continuing problem here. I have read that moss will grow, and damage the shingles by lifting them up. Plus it does not look good on an otherwise nice stately house.

Will roundup damage the shingles?
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

Wet moss covered asbestos shingles are going to be as slippery as whale snot. No way I'd want to be up on that roof cleaning it.
There's companys that do nothing but clean roofs, I'd be checking into that.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
There's companys that do nothing but clean roofs, I'd be checking into that.

I would not let anyone walk on those shingles. I just want a reliable chemical that will not harm the shingles and kill the moss so I can brush it off with a long handle broom while I stand on a ladder.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Those are probably the original roof shingles and they are asbestos. That is a real tribute to AB as a building material. Frankly Id leave the moss alone, thats probably keeping the water out, and it is a "green" encapsulant. Kill the moss and broom it, and you could make it friable. Id leave the moss and tear it off as a unit. Frankly the old felt under the AB is probably the only thing keeping you and the weather from coming together at this point.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Kill the moss and broom it, and you could make it friable. Id leave the moss and tear it off as a unit. Frankly the old felt under the AB is probably the only thing keeping you and the weather from coming together at this point.
The entire roof is not covered in moss. Only the part near trees has moss on it. I was hoping someone knew of a chemical I could use that actually worked, but did not harm the shingle. What about bleach?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 266

I haven't used this myself but Bayer products seem to work well, even if they may take awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Moss on asbestos shingles-image-11218554.jpg  
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
I tried a product from the Bayer Company for moss, and it turned it brown, but it still will not come off after I used a broom.

Don't know what to tell you to use as moss and algae are regional issues but I can tell you do NOT use bleach.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Can you post some pictures of this roof? Id really like to see it if it is 77 YO and holdin. Im sure ONB would be interested too.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 638

same problem on friends house three companies cam out and told him he needed a new roof. The fourth guy sprayed something on the roof and the moss turned brown. The guy told me moss is difficult to remove and that my friend is just throwing his money away.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sal View Post
I haven't used this myself but Bayer products seem to work well, even if they may take awhile.

I did use that, and it turned the moss brown, but the moss did not come off.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post

Don't know what to tell you to use as moss and algae are regional issues but I can tell you do NOT use bleach.
Why? What is is the bleach will do to the shingles?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Chlorine is a corrosive agent. Granted it is on the milder side, but still corrosive. Also it will not get to the "root" of your problem. Bleach is good for killing and neutralizing surface organics but little else.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Chlorine is a corrosive agent. Granted it is on the milder side, but still corrosive. Also it will not get to the "root" of your problem. Bleach is good for killing and neutralizing surface organics but little else.

The root of the problem would be the trees, but they are not on my property so cutting them down is not possible. I am concerned that as the moss grows it will push up the shingles that are now not leaking. I did a Google search and there is a company that sells a product called D/2 Biological Solution which is supposed to be gentle on surfaces. I welcome any other suggestions.

Advertisement