Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Share |

Moldy attic

We just had an buyers inspection that revealed major mold in the attic. This is a very low pitched area and covers a perimeter of 40'x20 area. The potential buyer wants us (sellers) to blast dry ice and replace all insulation. This is have heard can be costly and unnecessary. The mold erraticactor who I have gotten a bid from will "impregnate the wood. And insulation with a non-toxic solution" and fog the attic after that. He states that he has never failed a post inspection and will work with the inspector until he is satisfied. Also, the company guarantees for 10 years. The guy seems to be honest and reasonable in price. However, the potential buyer is not happy and wants the dry ice blasting. Can any one reply to this? I think that if it gets to be too costly, I would have a roofer replace the entire attic to include rafters. Which might be even more costly. But we just replaced the roof 3years ago. Yes, the roofers found mold then and replaced at least half of the houses sheathing. I foolishly thought that that was the end of it. Thanks, River Artie

river artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Moldy attic

How is the roof deck at this point?

Treating it with a mildewicide is fine but the insulation should be removed and replaced.

After that, it should be air sealed and the ventilation should be checked and amended so that they don't deal with the same issue in the future.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
bbo

Moldy attic

Its more of a selling question than a mold remediation question.

if the buyers want the dry ice blasting and are willing to walk away without getting it, thats your decision to make.

you could always offer $$ somewhere in the middle price range for the two to compensate for the buyer getting the issue fixed to their satisfaction.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote