Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Mold in the attic

I own an old stucco tudor and recently had an insulation contractor over to insulate my attic and walls. While up in the attic (we only store a few things and rarely go up there) the contractor noticed black mold. He stated that it was caused by lack of airflow because of venting issues. I now have to have the mold remediated which essentially blows my budget for the insulation I planned on having blown in. The roof was replaced just prior to us buying the house 3 years ago.

If I can find out who installed the roof wouldn't they be liable for the remediation and any other related expenses?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt3719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #2

Mold in the attic

Nope, they were hired to put a new roof on not reverce engineer a poor roof design.
Killing the mold will only be a small part of what is need to fix the real problum.

Post some pictures of the outside of the house.
Tell us if you have any roof venting and what type.
Is there working soffit vents that are not all covered up with insulation?
Not a big deal to get that mold treated in most cases. Any exterminator can just spray on some Timbor, or Boracare or any number of other products that will kill the mold and stop it from growing. No need for a haz mat team.

DO NOT TRY JUST SPRAYING IT WITH BLEACH!

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
CopperClad (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #3

Mold in the attic

Hello, and welcome to DIY. First thing is, you say the "HE" noticed mold. Did you actually physically see the mold? Thing is, there are a lot of wonderful, truthful, and honest contractors out there.. Then there are some that will tell you anything to make a quick buck. I'm not telling you the contractor you had out was a liar of anything... but anytime you decide to do a project on your home, get a minimum 3 estimates. Minimum 3 different opinions and corrective action to fix the problem if there is one. He said you have ventilation issues? What kind of issues? Talk about that with us. No soffit vents? No ridge vents? What kind of lack of ventilation is there? We can help, just a little detective work will need to be done. Good luck !
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Mold in the attic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3719 View Post
I own an old stucco tudor and recently had an insulation contractor over to insulate my attic and walls. While up in the attic (we only store a few things and rarely go up there) the contractor noticed black mold. He stated that it was caused by lack of airflow because of venting issues. I now have to have the mold remediated which essentially blows my budget for the insulation I planned on having blown in. The roof was replaced just prior to us buying the house 3 years ago.

If I can find out who installed the roof wouldn't they be liable for the remediation and any other related expenses?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
No.

As stated previously, the roofer was hired to replace the roof and unless you can prove negligence because they modified the venting, you have no cause either.

Mold is a tricky subject mater as well because I could likely make the case that leaking stucco created the interstitial moisture issue that lead to the attic humidity and so on and so on.

How bad is the mold? Post up a picture.

Have you had it tested? It is relatively cheap it will tell you what type and what type of remediation is required. If it is not toxic mold, most aren't, you can kill it yourself and fix the venting on the roof.

Problem solved.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
d0hboy (02-14-2014)