Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Share |

Mold in the Attic

We had a new roof put on and recently hired a company to add insulation in the attic. They arrived but came down and said they could not put in the insulation due to the mold.
The roofing company came out and inspected & they said theydid not seal around the chimney properly. They resealed the flashing and when we asked what they would do about mold they said they would spray it with bleach.
From what I have found in my research bleach is not a good option.
How should we proceed?

Thanks for all the responses - I never go in the attic so had no idea about the mold. We had the roof done 5 years ago and it had a 20 year warranty with 10 years on labor.

As to how much mold - the wood near the chimney has several areas of mold, the insulation that is currently up there has black mold spots on it . We also were told that along the top near the ridge vent there is a line of black mold that goes almost the lenght of the attic. Also it is on some of the roof trusses. I am trying to get my son to come over this weekend to venture up there to look and tell me how bad it really is.

When the contractor first called me he said they do not touch mold and we would have to find an outside firm, but since I am pushing them on the warranty suddenly they can "spray" the area. I did tell them I expect them to remove and dispose of the moldy insulation and replace it. So much stress but I really appreciate the input.

Last edited by migcin; 05-24-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: additional information
migcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Mold in the Attic

How long ago was it re-roofed?
What is the extent of the mold?
No, bleach is not a good choice. Doesn't take much googling to learn all one needs to know about cheap and effective remediation.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Mold in the Attic

+1

How much mold is there and where is it located?

A leak around the chimney will not show on the roof sheathing on the other side of the attic.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Mold in the Attic

Post a picture, if it's not to bad a simple treatment with Boric acid will kill it and keep it from coming back.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Mold in the Attic

I have argued with other contractors who swear by the bleach/water.I use a Anit-Microb solution.Its what the insurance companies are wanting used in restorations so I use it.

I called ServPro and honest to god they told me bleach/water as well.They said they would sell me Anti but bleach would work about as well with less the cost obviously BUT I want something that is SPECIFICALLY for Bac removal.

If I want my socks as white as can be I use bleach.If I want to remove 99% of the mold spores on the first sweep or other bacteria I use Anti-Microbe solutions.

If you push the Anti bac make sure you are shown a new bottle of the product.Don't be snookered by a windex bottle with bleach/water in it.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-23-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

Mold in the Attic

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/timbor-p-144.html

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote